fertilizers

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

fertilizers
« on: September 29, 2021, 17:13 »
I know not all gardeners use chemical fertilizers but like myself I assume some do but I've been told chemical fertilizer prices have gone through the roof especially the nitrogen based

possibly as a spin of from the shortages of nitrogen I've been told this from a farmer friend of ours so could this have an effect buying  growmore or other's and as a follow on should  gardeners turn to using organic fertilizers like poultry pellets could drive the price up

I suppose I was lucky that I brought my fertilizers several weeks ago for next season before the nitrogen problem so it will be interesting to see when the old stock of growmore goes will this nitrogen problem effect the new stock  prices ?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: fertilizers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 22:51 »
Hi Rowland

I'm glad you have your fertilizer for next year stocked.

To make that fertilizer stretch, it is always good to know what nitrogen is already in the soil (by testing), then adding just what you need.  You could probably take just one soil sample to represent your whole allotment, then request that the soil lab provide fertilizer recommendations for the most nutrient-demanding crop (potatoes are a good example).  Or, you can take separate soil samples for places you plan to grow different crops.

You may already know how to take a soil sample, but if not, this video provides the basic method for collecting the sample:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_U9Z3fy0Ig

And you can find soil laboratories here:  https://www.nutrientmanagement.org/what-we-do/support-and-advice/find-a-laboratory/

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 09:14 »
The site that makes the basic Nitrogen for fertiliser has closed, temporarily, because the price of the gas it uses in production has risen too high recently.
If the price of gas levels out, it will restart production... if not, who knows what will happen  :ohmy:

Manure (from animals or sewage sludge) is a good replacement, so yes, farmers will be looking at the alternatives. This is why some farmers have stressed the need to return to mixed (animal & crops) as the natural way forward - although some see it as a backward step - but it is a maintainable system.

If you can afford to, I suppose it is worth buying enough of your preferred brand for next year - and hope things sort themselves out soon.
I don't need any more as I recently managed to buy 2 bags of Orgrow, on offer at very reasonable price.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 12:03 »
we had soil tests done on the allotment and the lab report came back detailing what was needed to improve the ground  the only thing needed was sulpha

and i agree mixed farming is the way forward regardless of those who think different got no time for them  anyway  >:( I'm of the opinion  that most of the gardening requirements are going to be dearer next year including compost's and other's

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 12:05 »
I must be lucky as I have 2 unopened 20kg sacks of Growmore in the shed

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 16:54 »
we had soil tests done on the allotment and the lab report came back detailing what was needed to improve the ground  the only thing needed was sulpha

Excellent to hear that your soil is in such good shape!

I'm curious, what is a good soil lab over there?  The link I provided listed labs, but I am not familiar with them (except Eurofins, for environmental testing work).  I am spoiled over here, we can get a basic soil test for about £3.00 from the State of Georgia, a more "deluxe" test for under £20 from a private lab in Florida (Agro Services International).

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 17:18 »
well subversive plot the lab test cost me around £20 quid its what the farmers use private lab  I thought they did a good test not sure about your environmental boffins though

its been around 2 years since i had the test so its about time I had another test will be going with the lab i know and trust probably gone up in price since the last test I can live with that

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 47 queries.