A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...

• 94 Replies

Growster...

A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...
« on: September 03, 2021, 06:42 »
Sorry to be the harbinger of doom, but I've just checked next year's projected bill, and it's 45% up on last year's..:0(

Another check on the comparison site confirmed this and it's still the cheapest around (EDF), and the only 'light at the end of the tunnel', is that the new charges are based on the awful winter and spring we had, as well as the saddest summer I can remember, so the following year may show a reduction! Great.

This is definitely not good for everyone here, and I'm exploring fixed rates now, as they seem to be the better of all the evils chucked at us these days. It appears that one needs to move fast to get these new rates too...

Anybody else in the same boat?

GraciesGran

Re: A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 06:46 »
We've got three months till our deal comes to an end.  Will start looking soon.  Not looking forward to it.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 08:06 »
I had an email from my provider yesterday first line "your energy bill is increasing" ..  have to admit I closed it without reading as I'm just so sick of the hyper inflation on basic essentials, gas/electricity/water/council tax have all spiralled out of control lately. I may swap provider but there's always a smart meter catch and I don't want one!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 09:37 »
This is definitely not good for everyone here, and I'm exploring fixed rates now, as they seem to be the better of all the evils chucked at us these days. It appears that one needs to move fast to get these new rates too...
Anybody else in the same boat?
EDF pfft! I changed to a cheaper/fixed rate deal a good few months ago, when Mr Moneysavingexpert, warned about the coming price rises on his TV prog.... He's always worth a watch (or search his site) IMO.....
I love my smart meter Lardman, cos it means I don't have to check that their 'guestimates' match what the meter is actually showing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:39 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 13:45 »
We use Shell as the previous householders had them for gas and electricity so we just continued with them for the time being and got a fixed rate deal. I then found out the gas meter isn't sending the readings like the electric, so I contacted them and a chap came out and said we need an updated meter but unfortunately they're not doing them until later in the year. Anyhow, they currently estimate my gas as I don't know where the meter is to send the readings to them! They recently emailed me to say my monthly DD is being increased by quite a lot due to our usage for both being over the average reading.  :mad: :mad: :mad: I think I know why the electric was higher which has been sorted now but must contact them re- our gas because they haven't had any actual readings on which to base their facts.  :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 15:32 »
We have everything (including our three mobile phones) with the exception of our broadband with Utility Warehouse and we're saving a decent amount on our bills.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 18:29 »
GG it's nothing unusual for gas meters not to be smart and from experience I read mine monthly the day before the DD goes out. I'd rather have an online account where I can send my meter readings monthly if the technology fails than be faced with estimates.

wighty

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 19:30 »
We've been in an argument with Scottish Power over our gas meter for three years.   It's never worked.  We've been to the Gas Ombudsman who has told them to fix it.  Still nothing.  They asked us yesterday for a meter reading and we worded a very polite E-mail telling/reminding them that it doesn't work.  Haven't heard back yet from them.  The electricity smart meter works perfectly.

al78

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 00:50 »
We have everything (including our three mobile phones) with the exception of our broadband with Utility Warehouse and we're saving a decent amount on our bills.

Same here except broadband is included.

If your gas/electric direct debit has gone up due to higher usage beecause of the chain yanking weather the SE has endured this year, it will probably go down after next year. I think it happened once with me after a cold winter. The weather this year has been freakish with many parts of the UK getting on the poor end of locked in weather patterns, and by the theory of regression to the mean, next year should be nearer normal along with utility bills. My gas and electricity consumption will have been higher than normal over the last 18 months due to working from home throughout COVID.

jezza

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 18:31 »
Hello my mother has a payment meter that I top up once a week at the local shop with a key ,have had the gas board round to check that the appliances are working correctly,we haven't any mains gas in my local village    jezza

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 07:18 »
Firing up the spreadsheet this week - there must be a better deal out there somewhere...

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 08:41 »
Wasn't the cap lifted 12% lately ? I doubt you'll find anything available without that increase. I note my lot have increased the fuel costs only slightly but the standing charges a whole heap, so there's very little I can do as a consumer to reduce the costs.

Despite being as energy efficient as it is possible to be working from home, my fuel bill has increase 4 fold over the last 15 years,  it is now my single biggest monthly expense.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 14:04 »
Don’t worry about the “Smart meter” Lardman I had one installed 2 years ago by OVO and it still doesn’t work properly. I have to send monthly manual gas readings using the new meter which is harder to read than the old non smart version!!! It’s warm today but every year I have the debate with my wife about when to turn on the heating. Seems to be a key battle with most couples I reckon. :ohmy:
Keep digging

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 14:10 »
We had a smartmeter installed when we went over to EDF for a year, and immediately started to get real readings as the old clock was so wrong! Our Econ 7 readings went well into the daytime, so we were paying through the nose at night time!

I've just had an email from EDF to suggest that a three-year fix could be the answer, but being a nerd, I'll check out the others of course.

I'm amazed that the awful BBC etc., haven't made this a public issue, but there again, the disgraceful rises don't apply to people on inflated wages.

Christine

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 07:01 »
Don’t worry about the “Smart meter” Lardman I had one installed 2 years ago by OVO and it still doesn’t work properly. I have to send monthly manual gas readings using the new meter which is harder to read than the old non smart version!!!
Hello fellow sufferer. Glad to know that it's nothing specific to me on the part of OVO. But I hear that people with other companies also have this problem.

xx
Which is the more economical with electricity.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 11:46
by JayG
xx
What does it cost for some one to cut the grass

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 20:35
by LILLILEAF
xx
the cost of cough

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 11:50
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Cost of shredding

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2022, 11:07
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 54 queries.