what to put on the floor of the run.

• 21 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: what to put on the floor of the run.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 20:06 »
128 me dear

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 23:41 »
Well I think I've sorted out the picture posting so here's a couple though the chicken boards don't show up too well I'm affraid.

There's one for Auntie which shows Vorwerks and Barnevelders mostly outside their "front porch" and as a special treat you can see my brick grit boxes frog side up just to prove that although I maintain they get enough calcium & grit in their layers compound feed I still make grit & OS available ad lib.

Also some of my original Sussex all but one, who is 10yo now, gone to that great chicken porch in the sky

Oh not worked is it only 128K per post or per attachment?? I'll send it as a separate post.

Regards.

Run on the hill WEB.jpg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 15:03 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Foxy

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 09:06 »
Like the photos, although I think I might need glasses....the buffs are lovely! and what a nice view from the front porch! lucky chooks! :D

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 15:07 »
Lets try this photo size thing again.  Thought it was 128K per post but apparently not as it keeps saying too large!! heres............. some of my original Sussex all but one, who is 10yo now, gone to that great chicken porch in the sky.

If this doesn't work I'll give up!!
Regards
Sussex WEB.jpg

cochin

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 19:40 »
I'd always heard that BARK chips were bad for hens, something about spores and being very bad for their breathing system so I use wood chips which don't have the same bad effect on the chooks

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 20:22 »
Yes you'd be right to not use bark, woodland mulch or hardwood chips or shavings as litter in the confines of a house due to the possibility of moulds which grow on these materials producing spores.  Some species of moulds can cause an illness with pneumonia type symptoms but in an outside environment chickens are exposed to many sources of spores but they don't exist in large enough concentrations to cause a problem.  In a run exposed to the outside environment bark or woodland mulch should be fine.  Softwoods are less prone to the particular moulds which cause the problem so are safer to use in houses though still mustn't be allowed to get wet.  It's a pretty rare condition and you'd certainly be aware of the mould growth which might cause it.
Regards
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 20:25 by hillfooter »

Flowerpower136

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 15:17 »
Hillfooter
Off the subject, but re photos.  I had the same problems, kept saying they were too big.
Best to upload to Photobucket, and then cut and past the code from there straight into you post.  Pictures come out much bigger and clearer that way, and you can preview them first to make sure.

question
Run floor

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 21:42
by joolz68
xx
What do I Put on the Floor of the Run?

Started by Little Red Hen on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 16:31
by smiler43
xx
run floor

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 23:09
by Gloria
xx
Run floor?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:24
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 38 queries.