Dogs and chooks!?!

• 19 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Dogs and chooks!?!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 08:16 »
Our situation was much like redmolly and Susie. Our Terrier was always impeccably behaved around the girls. I think it may not have helped that the "head" chicken was a particularly bossy ISA Brown who had been used to keeping a Terrier in place where she had lived previously. The BC used to try and rush at them from time to time out of pure devilment so needed watching but I always liked her around on fox patrol when the girls were free ranging.

Lorna.  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 12:42 »
My dog is a tibetan terrier, she has killed 2 of my chickens now, one she half ate, the other she just grabbed before I grabbed her, but it died of shock.  We have had the girls for 6 months now, and recently she is losing interest, my black rock wanders around very close to her on her regular escapes from the pen without problems, but I am still wary.  The dog really gets excited when the girls start flapping, it must kick in some primal instinct.  Have tried muzzle, smelly sprays, water jet, nothing worked, just time to get used to them it seems. alison

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 18:04 »
Yeah - I think time is the thing!! Whilst Susie was still in attack mode - she used to also approach them to play!! Stupid mutt!! Throwing her toys in and standing waiting for them to throw them back out!!! Her attempt at making friends I think.
When they flap their wing at her now she ducks out of the way!! One too many pecks on the nose I think!!!  :lol:

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:54 »
Aww, I think it's sweet that Susie wanted them to play!  :D
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

The Ora Girls

• Ceredigion Animal Rescue and Education
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 18:37 »
My chickens live in a fenced off part of the garden (well, it used to be a garden ..... now 2/3 of it is shingled as the dogs turned it into a race track and the hens have been digging trenches so I almost disappear when I walk in their part!).  Bo (staffie x) has been into the chicken pen with me a couple of times - not realised he slipped in behind me - and just stood watching them.  China (boxer) just goes up to the gate and barks at them several times a day - the chickens ignore her, as does the horse who's field we walk past daily yet he takes her by surprise each time he stands there peacefully grazing.  Jed - well, one day Cora Chicken sneaked out of the gate when I went in, I did not notice until there was an almighty squawking from the water barrel by the garage, and there was Jed with her in his mouth, wagging his tail and saying "My dad was a gundog you know, I know how to pick up birds".  Got him to drop her and she shot off down the garden.  Managed to stop both boys from chasing her (luckily China slept through it), and when she ran back and I managed to get her into the pen she told the others very loudly at great length about her adventure.  No damage to her and either she laid next day or one of the others laid 2 to cover for her.
Georgina

xx
Update on Hunting Dogs Killed My Chooks - NO REPLIES PLEASE

Started by pookey on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 15:08
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Dogs

Started by Eggcentric on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 09:15
by joyfull
xx
Dogs and cats

Started by mantha on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 16:46
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 35 queries.