Dogs and chooks!?!

• 19 Replies

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
Dogs and chooks!?!
« on: October 12, 2009, 13:48 »
Aaargh!!  We have 8 adorable ex-batts who moved in 3 weeks ago.  No matter what we say or do with our greyhounds they are intent on tasting our chooks.  Have tried the hose pipe, the citronella spray training collar, yelling :mad:, etc. 

The chook run is secure and the dogs can't get in but they 'shout' at the girls and scare them.  Have taken to keeping the dogs indoors to give the chooks some peace but that isn't going to work longterm as it isn't fair on the dogs!

Does anyone have any tips as I would love to be able to let our family play in the garden together....
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

grumpydad

Re: Dogs and chooks!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 16:18 »
try to give them some time, our dog barked at the chucks when they were in the run when we first had them, after a few weeks, when she realised they were here to stay, she now ignores them, and does not bother at all with them when they are in the garden, in fact she tries to avoid them.
remember the dog looks at them as invading her garden, it just takes some time to get used to them, make sure you still fuss the dog so she does not feel rejected

lilysnana

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 20:46 »
We have a greyhound and a jack russell.  When we first had our chooks about a month ago we were advised to let the chooks into the garden and then take the dogs into the garden on their leads and walk around for a bit. After about 20 minutes the dogs lost interest in the chooks and we let them off their leads. This seemed to work as the dogs took no notice of the chooks and vice versa.  Since that time we've had no problems and they all seem to get on well.  It may be worth a try!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 21:12 »
hi! weve got a jack russell too, she knows how delicious fresh bantams are even though she has never tasted one, they make her mouth water every day! - she once cought a pheasant but was so surprised she let it go and it ran off very fast.  :D

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 21:51 »
Mine are all fine now, except for when I put the babies in the brooder or the outside pen. Ruby just can't stop drooling over them. As soon as they are grown up a bit, she ignores them  :)
Give it time...........

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 13:22 »
Thanks All! :D

It's good to know that it isn't just our hounds that are after a quick snack.  May well try letting the girls out first then bringing the dogs in on leads.  Oh and making a fuss of the dogs too, must admit that we have been leaving them out a bit as the girls have needed our attention.  Think we may have inadvertantly made them appear more interesting  :(

Might invest in a couple (or 3) of muzzles before letting the dogs off lead tho :wacko:.

The rotti is only vaguely interested and only really when there is alot of flapping and noise, the rest of the time he forgets the hens are there :D.

Lynda_T

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 16:20 »
Hi i guess the dogs are just being dogs hu?  lol  :D 
My two dogs still drool and stare into the run longingly...lol i wouldnt trust the dogs out in the garden with the hens at this mo in time, however what i did to stop my labradoodle from barking at them was to sit him by the run and check him every time he went to bark and when he was quiet i gave him some cheese.  Now he doesnt bark and he sits nicely by the run ...waiting on his cheese lol

good luck!

janet12000

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 17:33 »
My greyhound definitely wanted to eat the chickens when they moved in!
If yours are ex racers then they will be used to being muzzled and it isn't cruel as long as you get the right type and size.
Bea (the greyhound) is fine in the garden with the chickens as long as I muzzle her. She seems to know what the routine is now, and if she wants to go out she brings me the muzzle.  :)
Bea is petrified of the ducks after one of them gave her a peck for being too 'interested'  :D

Agree with Lynda_T.....cheese is an excellent training aid!

I think the issue with ex racing greyhounds is that you effectively have to undo all the training that they have ever had..... ie; to chase small furry things!

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 11:50 »
Oo, cheese!  Now that could work, all our muttly crew love it.  :D

The greyhounds are ex-racers but have got used to Mr Bunny, unless he is in his run on the lawn, that has the same effect as the chooks pottering round their pen  :wacko:

Will measure them (the greyhounds not the chooks) for muzzles too if there is no improvement over the next few weeks, though the nights drawing in is making any dog/chook training harder and harder as the girls are off to bed almost as we get home from work  :(

janet12000

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 17:57 »
The retired greyhound trust can sort you out with muzzles.  :)

Bea has a very fetching pink one! Oh......and you can give them little cheese chunks whilst they have the muzzle on.  ::)

Good luck!

HMQG

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 21:19 »
Good luck, I know how you feel, we got our hens 3 weeks ago and were worried that the dog and hens would have to take it in turns to 'free range'

Luckily we've had no issues and they all seem to get on well, having said that I wouldn't leave the dog and hens alone free ranging as a dog's a dog at the end of the day and when they get flappy you can tell just how much he wants to chase them; think without a 'pack leader' in sight the temptation would be too great lol

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 21:28 »
After a few sharp pecks on Susie's nose she soon steered clear of them when they were in the run. Now they are in the garden for most of the time....so Susie was introduced on her lead....which is now safe to take off. Caught her sniffing bums the other day - but no attempts to eat them as before. She tries to avoid them on the whole....yet poor Susie will be having a quiet nap and the girls will go over and lay next to her now!!! First sign of trouble tho and Susie legs it indoors!!!  :D :D
It just takes time....although I prefer Susie to be out with them - to keep foxes away!!

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 21:46 »
Greyhounds are sight hounds with a high prey drive. Anything fluttery or squeaky will attract their immediate attention and cause them to lock on and bite. Muzzles will not stop them because they will run over the prey, Your chooks, in their excitement.
We lost a beautiful white dove to our dog. Didnt bite it but ran over it and damaged it so much so it died.
Dogs do this and they are not to be trusted with small creatures and children.

We would never leave ours out where the chickens could get over the fencing.
They will stalk, point and run in on pheasants and have killed them before.
 Hosepipes are a way but they dont work when you are not there.

Good luck, if you are careful you will be ok. Mine will not now chase rabbits and they leave the hunt on command.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

wilson5

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 22:05 »
I got my hens in July I have 2 dogs did not let them in the garden for a while.  I made a run that could be wheeled round the garden the hens got used to the dog looking through the mesh at them.  Then after a while I would put the dogs on their leads and take them into the pen and fed the hens out of my hand.  One of the dogs was more interested in catching a fly the other was a little more intense with the hens but I checked him a few times.
Have only just started letting them in the garden due to having swap some over, but I have found that they are less bothered about them now they are runing free.  I think if you take it slowly also make sure you are with them. My Weimerarner can open all my doors he lets himself out for a pee so just make sure I lock the door if not around. 
I never thought I would be able to let them run around like this, its great.  Threw some bread out the other day one of the dogs went to eat it and a chook got to it at the same time the dog stood back and let it eat it. 

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40 »
One of my chooks Boots a tiny Pekin Frizzle attacks Jay my JR and she's scared stiff, its funny to watch as Boots is knee high to a grass hopper, i have to try to stop it though in case Jay decides enough is enough ::)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
Update on Hunting Dogs Killed My Chooks - NO REPLIES PLEASE

Started by pookey on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 15:08
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Dogs

Started by Eggcentric on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 09:15
by joyfull
xx
Chickens and dogs

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 18:40
by lukasmum

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 34 queries.