Over Chitted Potatoes

• 12 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Over Chitted Potatoes
« on: March 22, 2014, 15:55 »
Hi Everyone!  I just took my boxes of chitted potatoes out - ready for planting - and to my shock they have chitted to foot long shoots!  What would you advise me to do with them?  They are going into the plot tomorrow.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

m1ckz

Re: Over Chitted Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 16:04 »
just rub them off   they will be fine

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 16:22 »
I agree with Mick.

Out of interest, where were you storing them?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 17:14 »
Are the shoots white?

If so, sounds like they've been chitted in the dark, or at least with insufficient light to keep them short and purple/green.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LittleRedHen

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 17:34 »
Jay,  yes, the shoots are white.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 17:46 »
Best to err on the side of too much rather than too little light, although as the others have said they'll still grow, they just won't have the head start they would have had if planted with healthy chits.

Given that it's very cold at the moment you may be better off delaying planting for a week or so, although your spuds won't produce much in the way of chits in that time even in good light.

diospyros

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 18:01 »
Some people take the chits off and plant those instead of the potato.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 18:32 »
Some people take the chits off and plant those instead of the potato.

Could you expand on that one please? Can't imagine it applies to long white chits snapped off at the base.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 18:43 »
Hi Yorkie!  I have them in an unheated cupboard.  I was just so surprised to see them grow like that!

diospyros

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 18:43 »
I don't know if it changes as they get longer, but if you look carefully at a chit you can see embryonic roots growing out sideways at the base.  The potato doesn't grow roots out the bottom and leaves out the top, each chit is like a little mini-plant ready to go, if you snap them off really carefully.  My American friend was just describing how he grows his and said "... then I throw the eyes in the hole..."

Now if you snap the chits off and throw them away, the potato has to start all over again activating some new growing points, and it's not got much food left in store because it's all gone into the very long ones.  You'd have to be very careful planting the long chits as they will need to go into a narrow deep hole and the top of the shoot not be too far from the surface.  Might be worth a try though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 18:47 »
Hi Yorkie!  I have them in an unheated cupboard.  I was just so surprised to see them grow like that!

The long white shoots are because it was dark in there; the potato has broken its dormancy and therefore the shoots are seeking the light.

It's always advised to chit spuds in cool light conditions - but I'm sure no lasting harm has been done.

diospyros

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 18:50 »
http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=180

This person describes planting sprouts, if you ignore the fact that they are doing it from shop bought potatoes, very bad, etc...  sounds more like placing cuttings and having the tips actually above soil so that's tricky in the open ground right now.

I've only done it indoors.

gobs

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 20:46 »
I've had such mishaps a couple of years, left them too long in the garage. :D

I just planted them, as was, trying to cover 'the shoots'. Not necessarily, that I managed with all. A very good crop, no notable difference. ;)

Anyhow, pots work like that: the part in light starts to photosynthetise and somewhat the other way around, so once buried, they shall lose colour anyway, I gather.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

exclamation
chitted potatoes

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 20:20
by Jay Dubya
xx
Potatoes have chitted at last

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 19:44
by gremlin
xx
Chitted Potatoes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 19:04
by shaun
xx
Chitted Potatoes

Started by JT101 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:59
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 40 queries.