Hedge clippings - can I recycle ?

• 9 Replies

poultrygeist

« on: May 23, 2008, 19:55 »
We have a lot of hedging round the garden. The front privet is due for a good trim but it creates barrowloads of clippings.

Is there anything we can do with them other than bag up and take to the tip ?
ie. will they rot down at all over time ?

Don't have a shredder.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

lincspoacher

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 20:27 »
I cut the hedge with a petrol cutter, let them fall on the ground, then i run over the trimmings with the petrol mower. Shreds them up far quicker and easier than any shredder, and sucks them up. I chuck some inthe compost, but i make far too much to compost them all.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 20:30 »
Could maybe try that.

Next lot of clipping is no the front so they'll be on the pavement but I can drop them on the lawn afterwards and try the mower. After the bank holiday rain, the lawn will need doing again anyway.  :roll:

Cheers for that.

rob

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 22:03 »
Privet makes very good compost. Red worms and brandlings particularlky like it, which says it must be good.

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 13:45 »
I always put it on my compost heap. :) mowing it sounds like a good idea! :)

have a LOT of hedge left as we cut it down from about 7' to 4' yesterday!  :shock: And cut down an unwanted light blocking conifer tree too.. and I mean TREE it's huge... any suggestions on that would be appreciated. We have it in another corner of the garden where it'll lie to rot (in time) i expect.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 13:48 »
Cheers. We're waiting for a dry enough day again to do the front.

For the tree, you could try advertising on freecycle if someone wants to chainsaw it up and take away for firewood.

Rob

Porffor

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 15:43 »
It's very 'sappy' so not sure if suitable, but have put it on freecycle on the off chance. ;) one mans rubbish and all that! ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 18:20 »
someone will fetch your tree I'm sure. Freecyclers take almost anything.  My felled tree was taken by a wood worker who was delighted with it and promised to make me something with it.  People always need firewood too

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 18:23 »
We had a connifer off somebody local. Took an electric saw, chopped it up in their garden and carted it home.

Still got some on the woodpile for this Winter !  :)

Rob

lincspoacher

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 19:03 »
I log up anything in the way of tree branches and stick them out the front of the house with a 'FREE' sign, they usually arent there for long. Im very pro-tree, and wont chop them down unless i have to, as long as there native deciduous species. Conifers are another matter, there not native to this country (they were introduced by a Scottish Lord who had been to Norway in the 17th Century and like them, and he subsequently spent the next 15 years plant 1 million of them on his estate). I have no reservations about chopping and logging conifers for people.

On the other hand in my woodshed i have a large lump of walnut trunk about 15 inches diameter and 7 foot long, rescued from a bonfire about 10 years ago. He was wasting his time trying to burn it though, it was so dense and so wet at that point you would have struggled to incinerate it in Crematorium. I was appalled he'd chopped it down though, what a waste of 150 year old walnut.

Since you're not far from me, ill start saving logs, when i got a trailerfull ill drop em over, poultrygiest.

xx
Using grass clippings.

Started by Jai on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:09
by iggyboy
xx
Holly clippings

Started by Riala on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 10:11
by Rangerkris
xx
a new hedge !!!!!

Started by wiskerman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 16:20
by mrs bouquet
xx
A Big Hedge

Started by Glyn on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 20:20
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 32 queries.