Scented leaf pelargonium plugs

• 5 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Scented leaf pelargonium plugs
« on: January 02, 2013, 14:21 »
Looking for a good mail order supplier of the above.  I've found a few on the internet but no-one who seems to sell plugs at a good (cheap) price.  Particularly keen on lemon-scented and rose-scented (eg Attar of Roses). 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Scented leaf pelargonium plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 15:46 »
You can buy potted plants on ebay, but they're not cheap as plugs would be - I remember I paid those kind of prices for 2 named varieties 5 years ago :(
ebay plants

I don't remember ever seeing them as small plugs because they're usually grown from cuttings rather than from seed, unlike the ordinary kinds.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 17:22 by mumofstig »

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 16:52 »
Scented pelargoniums are available only as cuttings here as well. I suspect they won't scent true as seeds. And as cuttings, they're not as cheap as I'd like. When I do buy them, I make sure to bring them in for winter to squeeze out a few years of use.

If you start with at least one plant, you could always make your own cuttings but be aware that many are prohibited for reproduction, which would mostly apply to gate sales and such. For your own use it would be okay.

Agatha

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 14:10 »
Vernons (www.geraniumsuk.com) are very good.  Huge range of all types of pelargoniums and the plugs are really good quality.  Prices vary depending on how difficult to propagate the plant is, but they grow really fast and as Trillium says, you can increase your stock by cuttings.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 16:35 »
I'll have another look at Vernons, in the light of all your advice (gratefully received).  Might even have a go at cuttings as well, although will check if allowed!  Thanks.

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 18:56 »
I always take cuttings from  mine, and they can be really long lasting, living in my conservatory.  I buy 2 or 3 from my local nursery which does a good range.  Cuttings are very simple and root easily  :).

xx
Ivy Leaf Pelargonium

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 17, 2021, 13:34
by mumofstig
xx
Scented plants

Started by Rich72 on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 21:31
by Mrs Bee
xx
Advice for scented cover

Started by qwerty565 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 20:15
by tam
xx
Does night scented stock self seed?

Started by LivvyW on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 20:48
by tosca100

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.