Growing Grass.

• 4 Replies

orchardlady

Growing Grass.
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:18 »
A nice tip if you keep your hens in a static coop and they have no grass for grazing.

Grow grass in seed trays in a greenhouse. Once it is growing well place in with your hens stand back and watch your birds delight. They will scratch up all the compost but it's a lovely winter treat.

If you do lots of seed trays you can always trim the grass with a pair of scissors if it gets too long. The birds will love a few fresh grass clippings as well as a nice big seed tray of grass. :) :) :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Growing Grass.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 19:25 »
That's a lovely idea!  I have also seen it suggested that you grow plants in trays like you said, then before you put in in with your hens you secure some chicken mesh over the top of the tray.  That way the hens can peck the growing tips but can't dig out the soil. 

When they have eaten all the fresh green shoots you can remove the tray again and let the plants re-grow before repeating the procedure.

I don't have my hens yet so of course I'm talking through a hole in my hat  :D  But soon I will have my own flock so I will be able to try this out for myself.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 00:26 »
That hole in your hat is letting out some good ideas!.LOL   Good luck with it all when you get your own chooks.
mrs.ploppy

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 14:30 »
Like most runs mine has no grass left in it, but is surrounded by grass, so I got some rolls of wire from Wilkinsons and  steel pins from my local hire shop, you know the type that look like a shepherds crook, and just make a temporary run from the coop to the grass, I move the fencing around after a couple of days so they don't demolish the grass totally.  Take your point about growing it in pots though. alison

Haychee

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 14:42 »
I've put chicken wire round the legs on my 14 foot trampoline - it makes a fab little run for them.  I always thought it was such wasted space before, now it has a perfect use  :)

xx
waiting for grass to grow...

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 09:54
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Missing my chickens (I now have to cut the grass)

Started by Dopey113 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 13:48
by Dopey113
xx
Growing up!

Started by Mulberry1990 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 20:41
by Mulberry1990
xx
My Little Boys growing up

Started by Anndee on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 10:30
by evie2

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.