Lentils ?

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Lentils ?
« on: January 24, 2021, 15:27 »
Do Puy lentils stay whole when cooked a long time, The orange ones breakdown when cooking.  Thank you,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: Lentils ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 17:04 »
Yes they do, at least in the recipe pictures I’ve seen, I’ve never actually eaten them though :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 17:37 »
The red ones are the only ones that cook to mush, in my experience.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 17:45 »
Put lentils have a bit of a chew to them even when cooked.  They stay firmer than green whole lentils.

It is one of the things people like about them as it gives them an interesting texture to eat  :)

wighty

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 20:29 »
Lentils are one of those things that I don't like but in the curry, can't remember which one, from our local takeaway, it's one of my favourites.   FIL often says 'come and try this lentil stew, it might be a bit too hot for you'.  Both Paul and I always refuse as neither of us like them.  I've never bought them or had them in the house.  Neither of us like pearl barley either.  Wish we did because I could put a handful of either in and cut down on cost and meat.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 07:39 »
Yes they stay firmer, had them last night. They cook a lot quicker if soaked in water for an hour, cooked ours in veg stock then added a splash of olive oil and a tsp of truffle oil before serving.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 16:22 »
Lentils are one of those things that I don't like but in the curry, can't remember which one, from our local takeaway, it's one of my favourites.   FIL often says 'come and try this lentil stew, it might be a bit too hot for you'.  Both Paul and I always refuse as neither of us like them.  I've never bought them or had them in the house.  Neither of us like pearl barley either.  Wish we did because I could put a handful of either in and cut down on cost and meat.

I think the curry you mean is Dhansak.     Mrs B

DanielCoffey

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 14:10 »
Generally whole lentils (of any colour) will stay a bit firmer than split lentils which are the ones that cook to mush.

There are a couple of UK growers of "freshly dried" lentils and of course most health food shops will have access to all the typical "commodity" lentils which are produced in bulk overseas.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 47 queries.