After a good but cheap electric propagator?

• 19 Replies

ferret1988

After a good but cheap electric propagator?
« on: October 29, 2012, 19:51 »
Any ideas on where i can buy one for growing from seed?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: After a good but cheap electric propagator?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 20:08 »
ebay has great deals... I got one of these for my birthday - not used it yet but looks great.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garland-Big-3-Electric-Heated-Thermostatic-Seed-Propagator-/170921806674?roken=Nua01o
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 20:13 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 20:21 »
I've used one of these for the last 5 years
windowsill propagator

You can use the little seed trays provided, or put lots of little pots on the base which is how I start things like squashes  :)

bainsk8

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 20:45 »
Don't buy the big electric 3. I bought one of these and after two weeks the thermostat failed, it cooked everything inside. I contacted the company I bought it from who told me to contact the manufacturer, (Garland). I sent them emails which harvest no replies. I then telephoned them twice and was fobbed off both times telling me that I should contact the company I bought it from. In the end I gave up and only use the trays, so all in all it turned out to be very expensive seed trays.

It also seems that I was not the only one with this problem: amazon product review

Its a shame it's a sealed unit as I probably could fix the thermostat myself.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 20:48 by bainsk8 »
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

LilacSandy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 20:54 »
Don't be fobbed off bainsk8, the company you purchased it from is legally liable when things go wrong not the manufacturer. Go back to them and complain, if you do not get satisfaction then contact:

Citizens Advice
www.adviceguide.org.uk/consumer
08454 04 05 06

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 21:04 »
Another super7 window sill propagator fan here.  I have two - one of which is over ten years old.  I dust it off every year and still use some of the original seed trays and covers.  They have recently redesigned it slightly but it is more or less the same. 

Having said that, the one that MoS has linked to looks like my original ones.  In addition to the seed trays, I have also used it with paper pots and jiffy pellets (encasing the whole thing in a large plastic bag).  I haven't been electrocuted yet  :D
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

bainsk8

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 22:01 »
Don't be fobbed off bainsk8, the company you purchased it from is legally liable when things go wrong not the manufacturer. Go back to them and complain, if you do not get satisfaction then contact:

Citizens Advice
www.adviceguide.org.uk/consumer
08454 04 05 06

Too late I have just ripped mine apart to see what is inside it. I was intrigued what parts were in fact used after reading the review on Amazon saying that Garland probably buy in the parts and assemble. I can confirm they actually do this, and the faulty part is made by a British manufacture Otter

The thermostatic cut out switched component used in the propagator is Otter G6W. Going from the data sheet these are manufactured as heat protectors for motors to stop them from over heating. I wonder why they seem to fail in the propagator set-up? Maybe because it was not designed for this kind of use, and this is something Garland should of considered when designing and putting components together for their propagator.

The bottom line is I shall never buy anything from Garland in my life and I will do my best to discourage others as its even more clear to me now that they are a cowboy outfit.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 22:02 by bainsk8 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 22:30 »
sorry that you were unlucky, but mine was made by Garland and is still going strong.

I believe it's the service -or lack of it- from the supplier you should be most cross with - they should have given you a replacement.

bainsk8

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 22:59 »
I have been doing some further searching on the Otter website and they have another Thermostatic controller V1 Series. On the Data Sheet cover for that component is a picture of a propagator along with other items. This component has been manufacture for temperature critical applications.

So maybe I was unlucky and bought an older model with the wrong component being used in it? The V1 Series component seems to be a much better choice going by the data sheet and maybe what is used in the propagators instead of the G6W now?

Like I said before shame it was a sealed unit as I now know for sure I could of fixed it.

mumofstig if a builder did the same by using poor or even the wrong materials on a job he is a cowboy no matter what after service or lack of he supplys. Why is it in this country the higher the occupation ladder you climb, poor services/products or rip off prices seems to become more acceptable by some people? Garland still used wrong/not suitable components in the propagator I bought, in my eye's they are still a cowboy outfit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 23:32 by bainsk8 »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 23:56 »
I have two of the Garland Super 7s, the heated versions, and they are great on the windowsill. 

I managed to find some cheap half size seed trays with lids and it will take 3 of those.

It's not thermostatically controlled so some caution is required if using it to germinate seeds (a la damp tissue paper in a plastic container) but I've found a piece of cardboard under the container works a treat.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43 »
I bought the Parasene Botanico 135 as it is truly thermostatically controlled, (you can vary the temperature), I bought it mainly based on reviews from various websites, and the fact that it is only 40w, so not too expensive to run. I can't remember the name of the company that I bought it from as it was cheaper than the link below, but so far I have been very happy with it. I first saw it on the Victoriana nurseries website and they really recommend it.
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/parasene-botanic-electric-propagator.asp

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:16 »
Sankey make the budget ones and I've had three of them for donkeys years and they are as cheap as chips. You can get them from the garden centre or Wilko. They don't come with an adjustable thermostat but you did say you wanted a budget one

The last one I got from Wilko online and had it delivered to my local store as they'd none in stock

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27 »

LilacSandy

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45 »
I have two Sankey ones too, I think the first cost £15 from the garden centre and the second £2 from a car boot, both are constantly on the go from January through to April and would not be without.

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 09:49 »
You can still get them at that price Sandy.  Buy another  :D

xx
electric propagator

Started by Stevens706 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2006, 13:12
by Stevens706
xx
Ultra-cheap propagator

Started by Scribbler on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 10:29
by Plottered
xx
Cheap or Expensive Heated Propagator

Started by kosh42|EFG on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 20:45
by DD.
xx
cheap electric fencing

Started by fekq on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 00:01
by Salmo

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.