Senior moment with potting on onion seedlings!

• 6 Replies

Goosegirl

Senior moment with potting on onion seedlings!
« on: April 07, 2010, 16:58 »
I pricked out my onion seedlings yesterday and couldn't for the life of me remember how I did it last year (first time from seed). I've put them into small square plant pots - 5 to a pot - and afterwards, I remembered using modules - one for each seedling, Do you think it matters or shoud I transplant them into modules so the roots don't get entwined..? DOH..!!   :ohmy: :blush: :nowink: :wacko: :wub: :mad: :unsure:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: Senior moment with potting on onion seedlings!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 18:40 »
I pricked out my onion seedlings yesterday and couldn't for the life of me remember how I did it last year (first time from seed). I've put them into small square plant pots - 5 to a pot - and afterwards, I remembered using modules - one for each seedling, Do you think it matters or shoud I transplant them into modules so the roots don't get entwined..? DOH..!!   :ohmy: :blush: :nowink: :wacko: :wub: :mad: :unsure:

just plant them out as multisown,no need to worry.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 18:53 »
Close together = smaller onions but it should be fine  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 21:01 »
When they get a bit larger, you can still thin them out when you plant in the garden. John's leeks are massed together but they're still doing well. Onions can be done exactly the same.

http://www.thegrowyourownchannel.tv/feature.aspx?id=258b2m50&title=Planting%20Leeks

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 21:06 »
plant over a 1000 sets every year.500 of them are planted only 2" apart,these are lifted  alternately at varying stages of growth.
this helps give different sizes of onion when making strings up.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 23:48 »
When they get a bit larger, you can still thin them out when you plant in the garden. John's leeks are massed together but they're still doing well. Onions can be done exactly the same.

http://www.thegrowyourownchannel.tv/feature.aspx?id=258b2m50&title=Planting%20Leeks

Thanks for the link - interesting to see  ;)

I do my leeks in a similar fashion but take out a shallow drill across the plot, fill this with water and let it sink in. This, I find, helps pre-water the planting holes, keeps the sides of each dibbed hole in place on crumbly dry ground and makes it a quicker job.

As the leeks grow and I hoe between them to keep the weeds down the drill fills in resulting in deeper planted leeks (once they have grown a little) and gives more white stem.

I am afraid I do top and tail mine before planting - tops look neater, roots are always down and in the soil (none left to dry out above soil level, and as the video says) - it does not appear to make any difference to the end result  :)

They are great after the first frost has sweetened them!!  :)

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 00:20 »
I would leave them in the small square pots. I do not know how big they are but when they have produced a second leaf plant then out on your plot.

You have 2 choices. You can seperate them and plant individually at 3 inch spacing along the row, or you can plant the clusters of five as they are with 12 inch spacing between each cluster along the row. The clusters will push each other apart as they grow. Some of the clusters will have only 4 or 3 plants but that will not matter.

Assuming the average per cluster is 4, the plant population along the row will be the same whichever you choose and from my experience the yield will be the same. The cluster planted onions will be easier to manage as at 12 inch spacings you will be able to hoe between the clusters. The onions in clusters will vary more in size but that is no bad thing in the kitchen.

xx
Seed sowing - slow germination or senior moment?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2016, 22:36
by Vagabond
xx
potting on onion seedlings

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 14:50
by JayG
xx
Potting on and pricking out seedlings

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 22:28
by Howard
xx
Potting on squash seedlings

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 08:38
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 40 queries.