Soil Advice

• 7 Replies

Charlie Bassett

Soil Advice
« on: February 05, 2008, 18:44 »
First timer and very amateur veg grower and slightly better soft fruit grower.

I have a plot about 10m x 30m, which I created from overgrown brambles and shrubs about 20 years ago. It's in thirds and I've rotated as the books tell you to. I've never used sprays or chemicals and dig in cow muck or well rotted manure most years.

From year one I had potato blight and bit by bit, have accumulated virtually any disease going, root fly, club root, brown spot, to the point where I feel like not bothering anymore, as it's a lot of work for less than spectacular returns, though I have now invested in a rotavator.

The old chap across the road, also a keen and very experienced veg grower, has never had any of the problems I've had, despite being only about 20 yards away (I'd feel terrible if he ever got anything if I thought it was wind borne from my side of the road).

My question is whether it would be practical to get a digger in (there is access) and scrape out the whole plot, to a depth of several feet and replace the soil with good quality topsoil.

Would that be likely to get rid of all disieases or might there be a bit on the corner, or some a bit deeper than several feet which would just carry on the depressing cycle?

I'd spend the money if it might work, but have no idea whether it would, but some of you might be able to tell me.

Charlie

noshed

Soil Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 18:46 »
Don't really know but people talk about lime a lot.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Sally A

Soil Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 18:48 »
blight tends to be more dependent on the weather, as long as you destroyed blighted plants last year, there's no valid reason why they should return. I'd probably move the spuds/toms to a different area this year though.

Carrot fly can be stopped by raising carrots in raised bed about 2ft high. surround with fleect too if you wish to be doubly sure.

Club root, there is a good article on here somewhere about liming the ground, I'm sure a more able searcher can recall it and find the link.

Brown spot - ? not encountered that one.

Welcome by the way, pop up to the Weclome thread and tell us all about yourself.

Trillium

Soil Advice
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 20:36 »
That's a tough question, Charlie. If you're getting too frustrated by all the diseases you've been cultivating  :wink:  then it might be your best option, if you can afford to do so. And go with all new seeds, perhaps varieties that are more resistant to the various diseases. And definitely find out where the new soil is coming from - whether or not infected crops ever grew there before.

But as Sally says, it won't stop carrot fly which is very prevalent in the UK. For them, you will have to build something upwards, either a box bed or a bathtub, etc.
And blight will come blowing along with the rain and wind so you'll be hard pressed to escape that altogether.

Something else to consider is what sort of plants are close to you and not your neighbour? Are they plants that will harbor diseases? Some plants do. In the northern USA for a long time currants were banned because they were hosts to rust disease which heavily infected the huge pine tree population in that area. I wonder if even the brambles you cleared off hosted some nasties.  Some research is called for.

Charlie Bassett

Soil Advice
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:30 »
Sally, it's apparently not called brown spot (I said was amateur), it's called chocolate spot and affects broad beans!

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Soil Advice
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:18 »
Morning All, an' a nice bright one it is 'ere,

Could the problem be "Halo blight"? yellow edges, brown spots- poor yield- yes I am reading from me books :) ,I'm also an amateur, anyhow if it is the answer is to burn the crop, do not plant in same position next time. Bye PAH   oh good luck and welcome Charlie, the're a great lot on 'ere very know  knowl e g , clever -willin' an ' elpfull  :lol:  :lol:

Sally A

Soil Advice
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 15:09 »
Here's a link from the Useful Topics and Sites sticky at the top of the GYO section, I've no personal experience of chocolate spot, so hope this might assist
 :)
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/broadbeans.asp

Hampshire Hog

Soil Advice
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 21:00 »
Charlie what about looking at things the other way round. We all get our veg attacked by bugs and diseases.

I have had blight on toms and a bit of brown spot plus I have had carrot root fly. But I have also had good results with beetroot, radish, parsnips, french beans, lettuce, courgettes(& marrow if I am slow) plus early spuds and onions from sets.  

Why not try some veg that have few problems or that you haven't tried before?

Cheers HH :)
Keep digging

xx
Help Soil Advice!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 18:46
by Donnay
xx
advice on soil please??

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 19:56
by sarah-king
xx
Soil advice!!

Started by Breadsnapper on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 15:11
by Breadsnapper
xx
Raised bed soil advice (again sorry!)

Started by hectic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 14:47
by hectic

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 37 queries.