soft shells

• 12 Replies

rhyddid

soft shells
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:42 »
I've got some ex-bats who have started laying eggs with very soft and broken shells.  They free range all day and have access to plenty of grit, but each morning there are these soft/broken eggs.  Can anyone give me some advice please?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: soft shells
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:44 »
what are you feeding them on and do they have access to a pot of grit and another pot of crushed oyster shell?
Staffies are softer than you think.

rhyddid

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:42 »
They are fed on ex bat pellets and there is a pot of crushed oyster shell available to them.  I'm afraid that I didn't realise that grit was different and needed!

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:52 »
grit stays in their crops (until it eventually wears away) to help them grind their feed - if they free range they often find their own little stones to use instead.
How long have you had them? The reason the farmer has got rid of them is because of two reasons:-
1) their laying will be slowing down and
2) their shell quality will be soon changing - odd shaped, wrinkled or soft/shell less.

Cut out any treats for a week or so to see if the shell quality improves a little  :)

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 21:31 »
I am also struggling with one of my hens who has now been laying soft shelled eggs since Easter.  She is on layers pellets, she has has oyster shell and grit available all the time, she has free run of the garden and for about a month now we have mixed the oyster shell grit in with the corn which she has as a treat in the afternoon to try and make sure she is getting the grit mix.  Is there anything else we can do, she is otherwise healthy?

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34 »
I am also struggling with one of my hens who has now been laying soft shelled eggs since Easter.  She is on layers pellets, she has has oyster shell and grit available all the time, she has free run of the garden and for about a month now we have mixed the oyster shell grit in with the corn which she has as a treat in the afternoon to try and make sure she is getting the grit mix.  Is there anything else we can do, she is otherwise healthy?
What type of hen is she and how old is she? It could be because she is coming to the end of her laying life.

She should be getting enough calcium with the oyster shell and layers pellets in fact you may need to be careful about mixing in the oystershell with the treat on a long term basis as I think long term too much calcium can cause kidney problems.

I have a hen in a similar situation and my biggest concern is that 1 day a softie will crack inside her (there is a thread about this in the forum at the moment) which can lead to peritonitis. I am thinking about looking into an implant which vets can insert which stops them laying completely.

I love my hens to bits but they are a worry from time to time!
Helen

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:27 »
not many vets know about this implant so you may have to go armed with the research yourself to show them - if you decide to go ahead with this get in touch with the BHWT who should be able to give you the information  :)

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 20:38 »
My hen is about 18 months old and is a Goldline so I think she should still have plenty of time still left in her, but thank you for the advice about ensuring she doesn't get too much of the oyster shell.

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 13:26 »
not many vets know about this implant so you may have to go armed with the research yourself to show them - if you decide to go ahead with this get in touch with the BHWT who should be able to give you the information  :)
Thanks for this Joyful, thinking about it the first time I had heard of the implant was in the context of ex batts. Funnily enough about 2 hours after I sent my message she successfully laid a slightly strange looking egg but with a strong shell which was really pleasing  :)

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30 »
We're having the same problem with one ( or both?!) of our Wyandottes..have/has laid soft eggs for several days now ...have plenty of grit - not old enough to be at the end of laying life and seem/seems otherwise healthy......am saying one or both as these two seem to be joined at the hip and what one does the other copies !!!!!  :lol:
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:42 »
do you mean grit or crushed oyster shell ali? Grit is used to crush their feed in their crop but the oyster shell is a source of calcium needed for stronger shells.

chickadee11

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13 »
I have ex-bats who have had the same problem.  One died from peritonitis and another one is still laying soft/weak shelled eggs so I worry it's only a matter of time for her.  I've tried oyster shell, cod liver oil..but nothing has made any difference.  I think they're just worn out.  Poor chickies :(  I will look into that implant option but my vets have no experience of chickens..they already told me that.

I can't offer any advice, just didn't want you to think it was something you're not doing right for them.

xx
Chick

rhyddid

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 15:27 »
Thank you for your replies everyone.  I'm happy to say that for the last couple of days the problem seems to have resolved itself - mind you, I'm saying that very quietly, just in case!  The egg production is way down, but I don't mind because it's a pleasure just have the hens around, watching their antics and knowing that at last they are happy and free to roam.

xx
soft shells

Started by Tralou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 16:31
by joyfull
xx
Soft shells

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 13:12
by Jeanette
xx
Soft shells (again)

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 11:02
by Njal
xx
Soft Shells

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 14:30
by alisonwo

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 36 queries.