Is this normal?

• 10 Replies
Is this normal?
« on: October 20, 2012, 15:06 »
We have 4 hens (two are 2+years old, two are 1 year old), and over the last 2-3 weeks they have all stopped laying completely, been moulting (one down to bare skin on her back and leg), virtually stopped eating not even their favourites, and become a bit subdued (where as they always used to come out to greet us when we went into the garden).  Is this normal please?  Are the four things related/ interconnected?  Why should they all follow this pattern?

Hope some people can share knowledge or experience.  have we done something wrong?  Are they poorly and its spread to them all?

Many thanks
Julia

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 17:16 »
perfectly normal depending on their breeds. Winter is the time of the year when most birds moult either fully or partially. Your younger birds may be going through just a partial moult and once this is over they may resume laying, but any going through a full moult will keep you waiting until the daylight hours start to get longer again. It takes lots of energy to grow new feathers and really takes it out of them which is why they channel all their energy into this rather than laying eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 20:44 »
Mine are exactly the same  only 2 of 6 laying and then not every day and some look half plucked!!!   I took them some apple today which they usually go mad for but no interest and they seem 'grumpy'  especially Thatcher my cockerel.........

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 21:57 »
Thank you.  Seems normal then and I shouldn't worry.  Glad you said that one of yours looks like it has been plucked.  Ours does too, with little spines sticking out still.  The two older ones are a white Sussex and a Black something cross (amybe beginning with M??)!!  The younger ones are silkies, and one of the silkies has laid today - Hooray!! :D

Prod

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 22:06 »
Its a bit like the ugly duckling.....  my ancona was virtually bald and now  she is absolutely stunning!!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 23:53 »
Thank you.  Seems normal then and I shouldn't worry.  Glad you said that one of yours looks like it has been plucked.  Ours does too, with little spines sticking out still.  The two older ones are a white Sussex and a Black something cross (amybe beginning with M??)!!  The younger ones are silkies, and one of the silkies has laid today - Hooray!! :D

These are the new feather quills coming through.  They don't like being handled when they are like this as it is painful for them.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58 »
Out of 10 hens we are getting the grand total of 1 egg a day at the minute >:(

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27 »
Sounds about right... three out of my four are moulting at the moment!  Feel so sorry for them it's horrible and raining and they are loosing their feathers poor things!

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 17:35 »
Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone. 
Julia

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 22:26 »
My darling Sussex is moulting too - she looks a bit of a state, and stopped laying nearly 3 weeks ago now!

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 08:15 »
It can help when they are moulting to use a supplement such as Poultry Spice. Some people use a non-meat flavoured cat food to help :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Hen not 'normal'

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 21:57
by CluckyChicken
xx
Is this normal?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 16:51
by FCG
xx
Is this normal?

Started by terrijane on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 07:12
by HENrietta
question
Help!! is this normal?

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 19:25
by 8doubles

Page created in 1.162 seconds with 35 queries.