Blanche's hips

• 7 Replies

susan - happy hens

Blanche's hips
« on: May 29, 2011, 15:38 »
hello, I hope someone can shed some light on what's happening to Blanche.  She seems to hav e sunk down into her hips and doesn't stand up straight on her legs. I noticed her feet have been turning in and she walks more with a waddle and can't run.  She is a rescue hen and is about 3 years old.  Other than that she doesn't seem to be in pain and is a good weight and eating well. Any help would be great.  Thanks. 
Susan

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Blanche's hips
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 18:39 »
Hi Susan, has she been laying regularly lately?  Could she be egg bound?  I am not experienced but hope that someone will give you some advice soon.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

susan - happy hens

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:00 »
Hi She was a rescue hen and only ever laid the odd egg but I have checked her and she's not egg bound.  It's like her back end has collapsed.  I just wondered if someone who has older ladies has seen this before.  The other two who are the same age are grand.  Thanks.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 21:47 »
I am quite surprised someone more experienced has not suggested anything for you.  Think it might be because it is a bank holiday.  Hope you get some good advice soon.  Good luck.   :)

susan - happy hens

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 22:44 »
Thanks,  probably as you say it's the bank holiday weekend.  We dusted the hens today and checked her over again.  She doesn't appear to  be in any discomfort or pain but wonder if we would know.  She was ok up until a couple of months ago, thats when we noticed her feet turning in.  We think its probably old age and her hips are the problem.  She is feeding well and runs/limps when the appear! Thanks again. Cheers.  Susan

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 13:02 »
Still hoping someone will have some good advice for you.   :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 16:45 »
sorry no idea perhaps a visit to a vets just to get her checked over  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 20:11 »
Maybe egg peritonitis...... where the eggs kind of fall to the bottom of the abdomen rather than getting shelled and  laid??
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

xx
chicks with dislocated hips

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 00:16
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.