a dodgy leg

• 18 Replies

karlooben

a dodgy leg
« on: April 17, 2009, 16:44 »
i am starting a new post for this topic cant be using the post post for a different probelm  :lol: my other girl who was in with the sick one still isnt walking right but shes eating an drinking an her poo seems pretty normal although shes laying down a lot when i pick her up an go to put her back down she seems to flop as if she cant put much weight on it but she has woddled a few feet .
if she did manage to break her leg or injure it in some way  how long could it take for it to mend ? or would it be best to let her go as well.

i cannot see any cuts of marks on the leg at all and the base of her feet look ok i did liquid parrafin her legs in case there was any mites in bedded in an also they were very scally and hard.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

Re: a dodgy leg
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 18:22 »
Can she not stand at all Looby when you put her back down ??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 18:29 »
How do you know it's a leg problem ?

and which leg ?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 18:47 »
Ex-batts do tend to get leg problems unfortunately.

They have spent their life in a cage and never used their leg muscles much.  If they jump off of something they can easily pull a muscle or a tendon/ligament.  It can take quite a while to recover.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 18:58 »
she stands for i would say 10 secs then lays down but she did manage to go up a small step into the house on it with a stuggle ,. its her right leg auntie . and peapod someone did mention that she could of very well pulled something .

this afternoon all my girls went to bed early as its peeing it down here an as i opened the run gate she called to me  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 19:01 »
I think peapod is right.  Encouraging her to rest would probably help.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 19:09 »
shes in the quantine house by her self having some peace an quiet an seems happy with it , during the day she can see all the others .

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 19:10 »
Best to keep her there for a couple of days and keep an GOOD eye on her.  Then if you need to you can get her to the vet ASAP this time. Itd be a shame to lose another girly

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 19:39 »
your telling me , in a way i could do without any more visits to the vets . i just got the bills paid of today so now i am broke but at least they are all paid and out the way .
i do need to go monday but thats only so the vet can check up on jack my dog who should be getting the all clear but if shes still dodgy then after after resting the weekend then i will take her in then.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 19:50 »
I hear ya about the vets bills! But if Im going to keep my doggies then theyve got to paid...simples!
(I cant stop saying that  :blush: )

Cant you get Jack insured?

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 21:02 »
i could but i had a bad experience with my horse insurance so now i dont insure any of my pets .

about 13 yrs ago i claimed for my horses laminitis , then she re got it 7 yrs later  i had no choice put her down but casue i had already claimed on it yrs before that the insurance company kept her £2,500 valution that did more then make me angry now i dont trust them but even my vets have said its not worth it now as the companies are not letting ppl claim  as much as they would like to .
after this month so much will be put away safe so its always there.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 21:10 »
It can take a few weeks for a pulled leg to get better looby.  As lomg as sje still eating and drinking then she's fine.

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 21:16 »
well lets all pray it is that , and i can safely say auntie your spelling is as good as mine  :lol: :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 21:20 »
All me fingers were in a twist there looby  ::)

If she shows any sign of being unwell - sets sleepy of not eating or feels too warm then she could have an infection in the joints which will need antibiotics

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 21:53 »
i do have some baytril left from the other girl an theres some in the water u reckon i should keep her on it to be on the safe side . vets would probably give me that anyway .

xx
dodgy looking poo

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 14:42
by Bruced
xx
Duck's dodgy leg.

Started by scabs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
question
Dodgy egg inc picture?????

Started by Roll Roll on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 18:57
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Dodgy tail feathers

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 10:03
by Ben_H

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 38 queries.