Everything's been eaten to death

• 11 Replies

yvonne55

Everything's been eaten to death
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:35 »
Nearly everything in our little gardens been eaten to death by bugs slugs and snails. We constantly battle with slugs and snails but this year plants that are normally left alone by pests such as sunflowers and lupins have beento thepoint that no leaves as such remain only the veins of the leaves are left. Can anyone help please?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:09 by mumofstig »

Springlands

Re: Everything's been to death
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:45 »
This year seems to have been a bad one for slugs and snails. There are different ways that people try to control them. One is to encourage wildlife that will eat them such as birds, frogs and if you are really lucky hedge hogs. The other is through use of slug pellets but you have to be careful of these as they can be dangerous for pets, children and wildlife. You can get organic pellets but again you have to be careful how you use them.

Alternatively you could try planting more woody plants that they do not like such as lavender but I appreciate that is probably not what you want to do.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Everything's been eaten to death
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:09 »
It's been such a dry year that slugs and snails have been few and far between here.

Are you sure it's not caterpillars that have eaten things - there seem to be more of those about this year  :unsure:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:21 »
I've had the same problem are you on clay soil? I thought this year would be better with the dryer weather but they have a mass assult when it rains.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:23 »
In my garden, where it is all flowers and shrubs, I try to work with nature. I notice which things get eaten and which don't and try to fill the garden with mainly things that the pests are not interested in. I am also trying to make my garden increasingly wildlife friendly, the theory being that there will always be a predator for the pest. It is disappointing when things get eaten, but there are lots of things you can grow that won't be eaten.
If you do a search on slugs and snails on this forum, you will find lots of threads full of tips on getting rid of them, but if you can work with nature most things do sort themselves out and find balance quite naturally. The simplest thing in a garden, if you do want to get rid of them, is to go out on a damp night after dark, with a torch. You will find them everywhere, then you can either kill them or remove them. 

yvonne55

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:57 »
Thanks for all your replies. Sadly the problems far bigger than slugs and snails alone and I'm mystified as to what could have eaten so many plant leaves in such a short space of time. I've never had lupins bleeding heart and sunflowers eaten before this summer.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49 »
If they had been bitten off completely I would have blamed rabbits, bitten off and left pidgeons ..  >:( :mad: >:( but to veins has to be insect I would have thought.  Sorry - not a clue what would go for sunflowers.   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53 »
I think there were so many caterpillars this year that they were eating plants that are not their normal food targets  :ohmy:

Let's hope things are back to normal next year

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:38 »
We have been lucky so far - last year there were so many caterpillars that they decimated my nasturtiums within a day. Then they all crawled up the house wall and hid under the eves.  Fingers crossed I have not seen any yet. 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43 »
I sowed 2 rows of radish seed and 3 rows of winter leaves and put some little blue pellets of doom down Monday evening.
Tuesday morning it was 'Slugmageddon' on that site! Dozens of dead slugs and trails everywhere :D
Stupid slugs though - nothing is growing there yet!!! :lol:

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:46 »
Hopefully you have got rid of the slugs before the plants emerge.  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 15:27 »
'Slugmageddon'

What an excellent word!  Should be added to the dictionary asap!   :lol:

clip
Nasturtium - sudden death

Started by Chivetalkin on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2021, 11:17
by Chivetalkin
xx
Sudden Conifer Death

Started by simonwatson on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 20:02
by Yorkie
xx
Sweet peas been eaten :(

Started by ThatsNice on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 02:36
by tjcnok
xx
Whats eaten my primroses?

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 10:53
by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.