Sudden Conifer Death

• 6 Replies

simonwatson

Sudden Conifer Death
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:11 »
I have a mature conifer/fir tree in my back garden. I don't know the species. It's been happy and healthy with nice green foliage every year. I just looked at it yesterday and noticed that the entire tree (and I do mean entire, from tip to base) had turned copper coloured. On close inspection, all the foliage is dry and crispy. I snapped a small branch and it's dry as a bone inside, no hint of green and not supple at all.

The soil around the tree is wet and the garden is poorly drained (on a slope leading towards a row of houses with no sub-surface drainage due to the building foundations). Having Googled around I suspect Phytophthora. Looks like I'm going to have to take it down.

What I'd like to know is does anyone have any experience of finding a replacement plant for this type of situation. I want something that will grow tall and narrow, but can resist the root rot. Any help appreciated.

Trillium

Re: Sudden Conifer Death
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 15:05 »
We're experiencing something similar with our maple (acer) trees, but the problem has been officially determined by conservation authorities that the deep tree roots have hit a very thick natural layer of lime/ash deep down and all the trees with roots that hit this layer will die off. I've lost 4 one hundred year trees at the front of my property already.

I strongly suspect your tree roots have hit something similar, not necessarily ash but something unavoidable and strong that the tree cannot deal with. The poor drainage did not help the situation. Whatever you replace it with, do not use willow or you'll regret that decision.

It's doubtful that your tree has phytophora. There are two types, and the one that affects trees hits only 3 varieties of firs in evergreens. HERE is a complete list of trees that are affected by this disease which originally started as potato blight.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 15:39 »
There was a aphid that was causing Conifers to die,don't know what it was called though. Think our neighbours trees have got it. He tried to say it was because of my shrubs blocking the light out from them. That might be true from our side but it wouldn't explain his side dying.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 17:47 »
A 100ft long hedge near where i live has been decimated by aphid's . The conifer's (leylandii) have all been grubbed out and replaced with  different conifer's.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 22:01 »
There was a aphid that was causing Conifers to die,don't know what it was called though. Think our neighbours trees have got it. He tried to say it was because of my shrubs blocking the light out from them. That might be true from our side but it wouldn't explain his side dying.

I was going to mention conifer aphid as a possibility too.  Sorry, no suggestions in response to the initial question.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:55 »
Thanks for the info/suggestions everyone. I took the tree down last night as I couldn't see any hope for it, the heat of the last couple of days had just made it even crispier. It also seemed unreasonably wobbly when shaken given how big it was.  Anyway I'm going to hope that your less pessimistic suggestions as to the cause are correct and plant another, smaller and shallower rooted tree in it's place. It was the backdrop to a group of bushes and also one end of the children's secret den, so I've got to replace it with something!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 20:02 »
Make sure you put lots of new organic matter and fertiliser in - the soil is likely to be very poor in nutrients and dry owing to the previous conifer.

clip
Nasturtium - sudden death

Started by Chivetalkin on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2021, 11:17
by Chivetalkin
xx
Conifer replacement

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2016, 11:32
by New shoot
xx
conifer roots

Started by casper on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 19:18
by casper
xx
conifer chippings

Started by Wellington on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2020, 21:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.