French beans going out

• 24 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: French beans going out
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 21:14 »
Mine looked like they were struggling today, if this makes sense, the leaves had started to shut almost the reverse of when they start growing. Gave them a drink and they look better but the weather seems to be picking up down here so they will be going out very soon.

cricketwidow

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 21:42 »
I have had mine out for 3 weeks now, but I am in Cornwall so it is warmer down here.

Manteiga

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 21:46 »
I sowed some french bean seeds directly into bed a couple of weeks ago thinking it was warming up  ???
None have come up and when I dug around there is nothing there, so either they rotted or someone has eaten them!
Now I'm having to sow again in cold frame to get something in later. However I did plant out my runners today, so I really hope we don't have any frost now! Anyone else planted out their runners yet?

Give it a few more days, I sowed some beans, three different kinds, about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the dwarf ones are just coming up, two of the cobra climbing ones have shown their heads, and the others are just about to come through (I have been exploring).

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 22:45 »
I sowed my French and runner beans in my cold tunnel back on 20th April. They actually germinated pretty fast out there and have been there ever since, in their pots. If the forecast is very cold overnight I put some fleece over them, but otherwise they've been absolutely fine in there. And when I say cold tunnel, I mean the zip is broken on the door so the overnight temps have been much the same as outside, doesn't seem to have bothered them. They've grown very big and strong.

Ema

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50 »
Lots of plot holders on my site have go their runner and French beans in. They look slightly in shock where they've come straight from th shops or markets and into the ground!

Mine are just sprouting in the mini gh and will be staying put until I've dug enough space for them!

Stree

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 13:00 »
My runners ( Enorma) have been planted out for about 2 weeks now, climbing up the poles. Not fast growing yet but  growing and looking healthy enough. About 3 foot tall now.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 19:37 »
My dwarf French beans went out 3 weeks ago - they were getting fed up in the pots and had been out permanently on the balcony for a week or so by that point. I am going to check on them tomorrow but Tuesday they were still fine (although a couple had lost a leg or two from the gale force winds!)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 20:13 »
Planted a dozen Tendergreen today at about 6".  Never grown them before so fingers crossed!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Jackypam

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 22:09 »
Put my runners out  2 weeks ago. They just got too big and I decided I had nothing to lose!  I pegged some of last years fleece around the wigwam,and although the big leaves all look a bit sick, there are new baby ones coming from where the bottom leves join the stalks.  Not dead yet then!!!!! :tongue2:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 13:38 »
Mine have gone up the hill, after a slug attack overnight enough was enough. I still have another tray just coming up out the back.  :unsure:

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 39 queries.