cucumbers

• 4 Replies

Nick36

cucumbers
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:50 »
Hello i want to grow cucumbers outdoors.  I have seen some advice say to grow along the ground.  Is this recomended because of wind damaging the plant?  I have seen advice on the website to provide a cane structure to allow the plant to climb, which is in its nature.
I know their is the risk of rotting and pest attack on the ground.  I guess it's better to let it grow up?

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Re: cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:12 »
I will be growing mine in the greenhouse and will aim to get them going part of the way up a cane if possible.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:18 »
Hi Nick - Much better to grow them up canes - as you say if gown on the ground they are prey to slugs and rotting if the ground is wet. Make sure that you are growing outdoor ridge cukes and not ones that are meant to be grown in a greenhouse. You will need to hold off for a few weeks until the weather improves - it is really much too cold at present for outdoor (or even indoor) cukes.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 13:03 »
Last year I put my outdoor cucumbers in a grow bag and put it in front of a chain link fence, and they scrambled up that very happily. The year before that I put them in front of an esaplier trained cherry tree and they scrambled up that happily too. I prefer to keep them off the ground if possible, simply because it makes it less likely that the fruit will be chewed by slugs or mice, and it keeps them out of the wet if it's rainy. And they just seem to fruit better off the ground too, maybe because they get a bit more sun and light and air.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 13:12 »
I stuck mine in the horse poo pile last and let them do their own thing along the ground.

They are as happy as a pig in.........
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers - what next

Started by juebill on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2007, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
When to sow cucumbers?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 14:58
by simonwatson
xx
Cucumbers

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 21:18
by Brambles

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 28 queries.