Why No Eggs

• 7 Replies

peter rooster

Why No Eggs
« on: December 22, 2011, 16:07 »
Hi

Disaster no eggs since early October >:( Mother hen getting old  :unsure:but the three girls only 18/20 months old marrans so should lay for a while yet. Last winter they dropped off :( but did not stop lost brown egg layer in the summer RIP :(. Rats under control  :blink:fresh greens available warm and dry house. WHAT TO DO

Peter
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

helens-hens

Re: Why No Eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 16:19 »
The 18-20 month old hens are in their second winter and it is my understanding that there can be quite a reduction in laying with the 2nd winter so maybe this is to be expected.

I haven't had eggs from my 2 (apart from a softie and that is another story!) for a week now, I have 2 left in the fridge & I am thinking this will be the first time I have had to buy eggs since April 2010 when I first got them!

As long as your hens appear otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry, I am sure they will start again when the days get a bit longer (yesterday was winter solstice so very little daylight at the moment).
Helen

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 07:33 »
Hi i have 16 chucks some older than others my younger ones havent laid yet but at this time of year it hit and miss i only collect 5/6 eggs a day at the moment so i wouldnt worry until spring time  :blink:
Chicken crazy

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:13 »
They should start to lay again early next year. It is all quite normal. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

peter rooster

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 23:16 »
I just hate buying supermarket eggs not the same as my own. Could worming them make them stop laying?

Peter

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 01:35 »
I have 6 hens now. One is in moult, one is broody and the others are only laying every other day so only 2 eggs a day! It was a shock to have to buy eggs last week!
However, the days are now starting to get longer. Hens need a good amount of day-light hours to lay properly so they should start a regular supply again in a month or two.

peter rooster

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 17:42 »
Hi Happy X Mass I would love two eggs a day one would be good none since October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DippyChick

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 22:09 »
My understanding is that they need 12 hours of daylight to be in full lay - unless they are moulting, broody, etc etc etc. The hens only have a certain number of eggs in their bodies so having a break in their laying will just give their systems a bit of a rest and they should lay for a while longer before they hit henopause.

Having said that I can't wait to find some nice fresh eggs in the nest box - had to buy some shop eggs last week ... they aren't as good as my hens' eggs and the yolks aren't nearly as golden :(

Roll on spring!!!

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 33 queries.