What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2012, 14:06 »
So far this year:

Built a deep asparagus bed.
Strengthened the compost bins I made last year after they started to splay outwards when filled with manure.
Burned the remains of the willow trees dug out of the plot last year.
Burned all the rotten timber found around the plot since I took it over last year.
Dug out the raspberry plants that were invading the growing beds.

remember to spread the ash on the onion patch!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Paul Plots

« Reply #331 on: February 22, 2012, 16:16 »
(Yesterday) I chucked some dried chicken manure onto the asparagus bed and the raspberries and then mulched with spent compost from last year's tomato bags.

Planted 3 dozen shallots (Mikor and Golden Globe saved from last year), also with a scattering of dried chicken manure, then chucked some net over them to put off any birds who might want to have fun pulling them out again (and also any foxes who have managed to forget what chicken poo tastes like!)  :)

I've almost given up using pelletted chicken manure unless I have a bed that needs digging over. Those there foxes make quite a good job of it.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jrko

« Reply #332 on: February 22, 2012, 16:55 »
dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig

Made a start on my raised beds.  One part bed adjoining neighbours plot and one full 5ft bed. No reach issues here - Being 6ft 5 has its advantages sometimes  ::)  

Bought some Stewart seed trays to match 3 plastic propagator covers a friendly policeman gave me. (These came along with 30 excellent large square pots confiscated from a 'farm' of the illegal type :D)

Secured the last 3 scaffold planks at my local scaffolders - ready for tomorrow when I have to..........yes you guessed it          

dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #333 on: February 22, 2012, 17:05 »
Cleared put the remains of celery plants and transplanted about 30 mature strawberry plants to be in a more accessible part of the garden then it rained so sowed quite a few seeds in my greenhouse propagator. Also, contrary to conventional wisdom, planted up about 30 cloves of Casablanca garlic in peat pots to force them into life in the propagator before planting out early next month

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #334 on: February 22, 2012, 18:30 »
(Yesterday) I chucked some dried chicken manure onto the asparagus bed and the raspberries and then mulched with spent compost from last year's tomato bags.

Planted 3 dozen shallots (Mikor and Golden Globe saved from last year), also with a scattering of dried chicken manure, then chucked some net over them to put off any birds who might want to have fun pulling them out again (and also any foxes who have managed to forget what chicken poo tastes like!)  :)

I've almost given up using pelletted chicken manure unless I have a bed that needs digging over. Those there foxes make quite a good job of it.  ::)

M dog loves them as well!  >:(

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #335 on: February 22, 2012, 19:46 »
Bought 10 kg's of seed pots.5 kg main,2.5 kg second and 2.5 kg first :D

Made a gate to stop the goats from next door getting in after I turned around and found them just putting their heads into my upright cold frame which I'd opened to get the temp down  :ohmy:
They ought to think themselves lucky,if they'd eaten my caulis they'd have been goat rogan josh tonight :happy:
Nearly forgot: Joy Larkoms book arrived today....Oh dear there's an awful lot to learn!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 20:01 by Judd »
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #336 on: February 22, 2012, 21:41 »
hubby put more fencing up today i helped  :unsure:  :)

did rake over bed 1
and sieve thought 3 barrow to get rid of bind weed the nice fine soil is going on my raised bed for the strawberries with composts mix in  

op's forgot when i got home i sowed

aubergines
rocket
tom's forgot there name
oregano
peppers
basil
sprouts
cauliflower

from seed ...... they will all be going to the greenhouse when i get the heater this week end then i can have the spare room back it's looking a bit like my allotment soil every were
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 21:52 by like diggingk »

Paul Plots

« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2012, 00:46 »
I stuck my potatoes in the shed to chit... not too warm, not too bright and not too... whatever else I need to worry about..  :blink:

Oh yes... not too cold.  :)

jrko

« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2012, 11:48 »
Was supposed to dig dig dig but after delivering my 3 scaffold boards and seeing how muddy it is today I went home for a cuppa instead  :wub:

5 hours of digging yesterday, as well pulling out miles of nettle root, central path & raised bed construction did me in.

maybe tomorrow  ::)  

Currysniffa

« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30 »
Been and dug 4 holes for the anchor posts of greenhouse I'm putting up on the plot, also weeded and raked raised beds.

Went and had a chat with one of the old chaps that's always on the garden, still trying to get a cuppa out of him  ;)

jmc1949

« Reply #340 on: February 23, 2012, 14:48 »
Finally finished putting the bark chippings on the paths between the raised beds. Looks much better and its easier to walk on as the paths were quite wet and slippy. 

Having bought 20m of debris netting took it to the lottie to measure and work out how to fix it to the raised bed with hoops. 

Then put in place the dalek bin which is going to be used for manure. Quite a productive day.

Also had a chat to a fellow plot holder - don't often see anyone on our site as most of them are at work.

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #341 on: February 23, 2012, 15:12 »
Four hours digging means that I am now only half a 4' by 10' bed away from having the plot ready to start planting. Have to say though it was very slow work, and what I have left will take a couple of hours as I have never seen so many roots in my life!

If I'm not too sore tomorrow I may go and finish it off, though I may be sensible and leave it until Sunday. I would have done a couple more hours and finished it, but at a balmy 17 degrees Celsius it was far too warm for any more digging! It is February isn't it?  :tongue2:

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #342 on: February 23, 2012, 19:28 »
This was actually on Saturday,I'm really chuffed now that's done ,he's coming to cultivate this weekend.
P170212_10.44 (Small).jpg
P170212_11.17 (Small).jpg

mparveen

« Reply #343 on: February 23, 2012, 19:28 »
Feel chuffed with myself as i dug a 8 x 8 of my 5th plot - 2 hours work!

Now I can start on my 4th plot as I need to prep it for next week as got to get onions, shallots and garlic in.  That plot measures 8 x 16.

My only bug bear is how many onion sets can I get in there!
A novice gardener and looking forward to getting seriously fit with my allotment!

The allotment is 16 ft wide and roughly 90 ft long split into 8 plots!

snowdrops

« Reply #344 on: February 23, 2012, 19:52 »
Not on the plot but in the garden,I've washed scrubbed & jet washed the greenhouse.Then jet washed the paths around the greenhouse. It's such a messy job isn't it,but so satisfying when it's done, so now I'm ready for the big seed sow.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 36 queries.