What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

toxorebel

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2012, 19:52 »
We wandered down the the plot for the first time this year - haven't had the time as yet  :( - fortunately everything is still much as I'd left it before Christmas and the strong winds we've had of late hadn't done any damage!

We had a pretty heavy frost last night so the ground was far too solid to do anything productive, but we did potter a little bit and then grabbed some garlic and onions from the shed to make chutney in the week.  Wanted to get some spring onions from the ground but no chance with the frost, although we did get a nice but small cabbage which will go well fried in butter with the garlic tomorrow night  :)

Really starting to get excited about getting stuck in now - just need spring to hurry up!

Barnsley-Bill

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2012, 21:51 »
We have had a few days of heavy frost In  south Yorkshire but at least it will help break down the horse manure that covers all my allotment plot, we get it from a local stable who delivers it free at this time of year.

Last night was -10 c and I'm so glad I went for a shed with a stove, even one of my chickens decided to have a look in today when I let them all out to have a scratch on my empty plot.

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2012, 23:29 »
First day on the plot this year.  I have so much to do as I was ill from the middle of last year so it all got left.  Made good progress for day 1, though, clearing some of last year's unharvested stuff and starting the weeding.  I had a lovely time.

stompy

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48 »
Hi all and happy new year first post of the year. . . .

Went to the lotty yesterday for the first time since boxingday to have a look around.

The shed is still there and the greenhouse is still standing after the gales we had although the GH is a little miss shapen and has lost 2 panes of glass but not bad considering!

Pulled up the sprout plants as most of them had blown and checked the PSB but no shoots to pick just yet.

Im getiing a little impatient at the moment and am having to hold myself back from beginning sowing the GH stuff and from putting the onion sets in, i know it's a bit early but i love this bit almost more than the harvesting bit  ::)

jmc1949

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2012, 14:14 »
Spent a pleasant hour and a half at the lottie. Bitterly cold and the the ground was frozen and still covered in the thin white stuff so I wasn't able to do much.  Did manage to bring 4 barrowfuls of very well rotted manure from the heap at the top of the allotments which is always in full sun and wasn't frozen, and put it in one of the raised beds. I then had a walk round the site to see what everyone else had been up to.  Not a lot,  only3 people had been down to their plots over the weekend.

Meik

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25 »
Bit out of synch  ??? but the other day I:

• Had a general tidy up
  • Dug in some chicken pellets

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2012, 11:35 »
On Sunday: Dug for three hours and removed five big tubs of weeds, stones and rubbish... Almost looking like an allotment...

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2012, 17:11 »
Not on the plot but for the plot...

I finally found a 1000 Lt. IBC storage tank for collecting rain water.. I have been eyeing it out for over 4 years now so today I knocked on and asked the occupier if they were ever going to use it..  The guy was only too pleased I could make good use of it. So peeps  - my motto is as always "If you see something you could use lying around and looks unwanted ... just knock and ask". The worst thing that can happen is that they say no!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2012, 17:15 »
Tidied up plot as I was going to finish off Shed/patio base but my bagged up sand was frozen solid! :lol:
Harvested the last of my leeks. Smaller than usual cause had to cut down after leek moth attack but still ok to use!
Put some Pentland Javelin & Charlotte spuds in egg trays to chit at Home.

Barnsley-Bill

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2012, 17:54 »
A few images of my empty Allotment apart from about 5 sprout plants that I let the chickens rag before the frost.

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2012, 19:00 »
could not do much as very muddy so
tided shed
planted red and black currents
then boot got stuck in mud so had a cupper off home  :tongue2:
red and black currents ect.jpg

jmc1949

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2012, 17:51 »
Managed to take up some carpet from the path between the raised bed. Thought there would only be one layer but in one part there were 3 lots of carpet runners. 

Put weed suppressing membraine down and woodchip bark on the area I had cleared.

Arms and back are aching due to pulling the carpets about.

Only another 30 ft to clear.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2012, 18:32 »
Not at the plot but for the plot....

To relieve the boredom of a typical Cornish day (drizzly/misty/damp), went to the local garden centre to see what seed tatties and onion sets were in stock.
Came back with an initial purchase of 100 Sturon onion sets. (Still eating last season's crop which were excellent).

Also got some Charlotte and Kestrel seed spuds.
Charlotte has always been a good performer but Kestrel is a new one (saw it mentioned by DD).
One problem could be no Nadine in stock and these were good last year. May have to have a rethink. Kestrel to replace ???
Will be getting some Vanessa at a later date as these produced some excellent spuds last season, versatile and tasty.
Then had to take doggles for a walk by way of compensation for a visit to the G/Centre

:)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

RobertSongs

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2012, 18:50 »
Popped up to pick a bit of coriander from the polytunnel to go with the spicy noodles for tea tonight..and check on my little lemon saplings after the couple of heavy nights frost we had, they looked snug as bugs under the double layer of fleece i put over them last week..i wasnt too worried because i`ve seen them covered in snow during the winter out in spain and still give loads of fruit..then i had a moments reflection..!!
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2012, 18:34 »
the cauliflower i planted indoors on 5 Jan have started to shoot  :)
planted some more cauliflower + beetroot and radish in my indoor propagators today  :D
will go to allotment tomorrow ::)  got a bad cold so can't do much  :(

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 34 queries.