What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #2085 on: October 07, 2012, 13:36 »
Weeded a bit, chatted a bit, picked some raspberries, beans for shelling and some spinach, chatted a bit, weeded a bit more, came home.
and was given a large marrow for 'some chutney please, same as last year'  ::) :nowink: on the way to the gate  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2086 on: October 07, 2012, 15:46 »
Pulled up the courgette and gem squash plants and shoved them in one of the compost bins.  There were a wondrous shade of white with all the mildew  :lol:

Also pulled out the biggest borage plant I have ever seen.  The main stem was about the size of a round post  :blink:  I do a bean trench type idea for the area where I put courgettes and squashes and it had loved all that compost under the soil  ::)  'Spect it has self seeded everywhere, but that's OK.  The unwanted seedlings will get composted  :)

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2087 on: October 07, 2012, 15:58 »
Manured 'bed 1', ready for planting some onions and garlic next weekend. Also applied some weed killer to two of the overgrown beds. Harvested some potatoes that the previous tenant had planted, about 2 dozen in total. Mrs J has them prepared for today's roast  :tongue2:

British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Welsh Merf

« Reply #2088 on: October 07, 2012, 16:44 »
Err . . . went down to the allotments and had a walk around, stopping for a friendly chat here and there. It's a lovely sunny day!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2089 on: October 07, 2012, 19:12 »
I only managed to get down to the plots about an hour before it got dark. I still managed to change the soil on one side of the greenhouse filling it with some good looking compost from the Compost Bin and some fresh top soil.
There is something about making and using your own compost. It is so satisfying that you can turn garden and household waste into something so good!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Yana

« Reply #2090 on: October 07, 2012, 19:30 »
Finished building high-rise beds from old shed. Painted the outside with fence paint to preserve the wood and lined the inside with black plastic to stop the wood rotting. Gradually filing them up with shredded paper, grass cuttings, used rabbit bedding and manure to be used for squash and pumpkins next year.

Picked Beetroot and chard and the last courgette of the season. I can't believe there won't be any more ......  :blush:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

dmg

« Reply #2091 on: October 07, 2012, 19:54 »
Had our agm and got selected to be vice chairman- got people chewing my ear within 10 mins of the meeting finishing.
managed to build a large raised bed made out of doors which will hold my strawberries,
tidied up the old plot im giving up

prikay

« Reply #2092 on: October 07, 2012, 20:51 »
Weeded, chatted to neighbours, some more weeding, pulled up last of the onions, some more weeding, picked courgettes and purple beans before going home for lunch - best day in a long time   :)

Eblana

« Reply #2093 on: October 07, 2012, 21:08 »
Sat:

Put some more pallets in as fencing.  Built another raised bed. Picked Green Beans, carrots, Tomatoes and Cucks.  Picked Dahlias.

Sun:

Made up another raised bed and more pallets for fencing.  Cleared some of the tomatoes that have died off out of the PT.  Dug the ground for another raised bed.  Weeded the raised bed with the brassicas in it.

Two beautiful days - happy out.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2094 on: October 07, 2012, 21:19 »
Two hours = pulled beetroot & dug carrots, cut a small barrow load of butternut squash which was a pleasant surprise - expected to have fewer considering the summer we've had.

Dug a patch & put away canes for the winter as well as collecting bean seeds for next year.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

compostqueen

« Reply #2095 on: October 07, 2012, 22:51 »
It was great to be out in the sun on the plot today.  I was lucky enough to have a rock band practising in the building next door. They were fab and kept me well entertained as I sieved my compost and bonfire ash  :D

allot2learn

« Reply #2096 on: October 07, 2012, 23:02 »
Cleared the toms out of the greenhouse along with the two Cuc's which I have managed to coax through a full season without a loss.  :ohmy: I must be turning into a grower.  :lol:
Just two chillies left in there now.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 23:20 by allot2learn »

jmc1949

« Reply #2097 on: October 08, 2012, 15:17 »
Completed another raised bed and transplanted 2 blackcurrants and a gooseberry bush. Planted a drawf dual apple and started digging over another area ready for the raspberries.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2098 on: October 08, 2012, 19:48 »

Made  a chickenwire bin for putting leaves in ,from the village green.

Took down bamboo canes which had runner and french beans on.   

allotmentann

« Reply #2099 on: October 08, 2012, 20:52 »
Another lovely day. Tidied one of the two polytunnels. The staging is now filling up with hardy annuals and perennials for spring. Picked some peppers. Spent several hours clearing couch and bindweed out of  a small part of the rather large raspberry bed. It is looking much better. Planted some rosemary and lavender started from seed earlier this year as edging to the bed. I think I can just see the first signs of my saffron crocus' coming through :). Had a nice chat with a fellow plot holder. Brought home some perennials from the cold frame which need to go into larger pots. Sowed some more wild flower seeds to start in the heated propagator.  Pricked out lots of Ammi Visnaga and Scabious Beaujolais Bonnets. :)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 39 queries.