What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

aligemini

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #2010 on: September 08, 2012, 22:49 »
Evening all,

Hubby and I spent a lovely 4 odd hours down the plot today  8) only weeding but it was so good to be down there in the peace and quiet and the birds for company. bliss  8) bliss :D

Lunch was basic cheese sandwiches filled with toms from the G/H and the odd shallot missed from last time - devine. Back down tomorrow (weather permitting) to finish weeding and plant out the cauli's also picking the Runner/French beans before they go over. - Can't wait. :)

cen1974

« Reply #2011 on: September 09, 2012, 14:57 »
Afternoon all.  Been watching you all for a while now but not posted so thanks for entertaining me with your "goings on"......

Thought it time to add as well as take.

Been to my allotment this morning for the first time in a week.  It is alittle empty at the moment.  My first year at it and got quite a lot wrong but looking forward to next year being better.  Learnt a lot from experience and places like this.  Managed to hoe over my beds, to stop the weeds taking over again, put canes in to support my raspberries, fed my pumpkins and tomatoes and planted some more red cabbage and lettuce in the greenhouse.  I know it is probably too late but for a few seeds, if we get the late summer I've been hearing about, they might be okay.

We'll see.

Martin.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2012 on: September 09, 2012, 15:18 »
Hi Martin  :D

You might like to post over in the Welcome section, so you can introduce yourself and get a proper welcome to the forum  8)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jmc1949

« Reply #2013 on: September 09, 2012, 18:07 »
Spent the afternoon tidying up the back garden. The blue lobelia were past their best so took them out of the borders and pots. Cut back the herbacious border and lightly dug it over. This was a new area and has given a lot of colour. So now need to put in bulbs for spring colour. Dug over the circular bed and cut back some perenials in the other borders. It looks neat and tidy if a little bare.

snowdrops

« Reply #2014 on: September 09, 2012, 19:29 »
At the plot reasonably early. Attacked the potato bed dug 5 ft x 5ft, got out every bit of mares tail I could,got down to sub in a soil in a trench  1 spade wide Forked it over to loosen it ready for adding a load of manure followed by soil from further up the bed, Finished harvesting the comfrey & added it to the compost bay 1. Picked some courgettes & came home.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Plots

« Reply #2015 on: September 09, 2012, 23:21 »
Having mended the front wheel puncture on my bike I decided not to go to my son's place and remove the massive winter jasmine that is gradually camouflaging the front door but to go to the plot for some peace and quiet instead. Good choice!

I picked French beans, watered the leeks and was pleased to see something doing really well. Then I carried on clearing my half-plot digging as I went.

Three hours later I felt very much more relaxed.... I need to get down there much more often.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2016 on: September 10, 2012, 07:37 »
Our plot is so open that we couldnt go down until late afternoon for fear of frying! It was 29 deg there and no shade.

We are inthe process of covering old beds to lasagne beds so net year will be interesting to see if there are lless weeds and if things grow better! We used 75 bin bags of grass clippings and only had enough for 3 beds!! The rest will just have to get done when they get done.

This year will be the first that we have had apples off our trees so cant wait until they are ready.
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

grendel

« Reply #2017 on: September 10, 2012, 10:15 »
just a quick trip down this morning to pick some raspberries and what few beans remain.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

jmc1949

« Reply #2018 on: September 10, 2012, 13:06 »
Started digging the long border which have the current and gooseberry bushes in on plot 2.  Managed a patch 4x6 ft. It was hard work, this area has never been dug before.  Also harvested and cleared to 2 raised bed on plot 1.

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #2019 on: September 10, 2012, 20:53 »
A very random trip down this afternoon to put some duckweed I've collected into a large bin thing I've filled with water to drown tap roots in.  I'm told it'll help with the stench... :unsure:

Ordered some seeds from T&M that were on sale when i got home  :)

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #2020 on: September 10, 2012, 21:25 »
Picked all the decent green tomatoes, gave them to my chutney making neighbour, and rooted out all the plants ready for our weekly bonfire! >:(
It seems everyone on the plots has blight this year! :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2021 on: September 12, 2012, 14:54 »
Finally mustered the enthusiasm to go into the greenhouse and tidy up and sort out the shallots which have been drying in there.

Good crop this year - none of the Mikor but some of the Golden Globe bolted so will have to be set aside to be used first (peeling and chopping prior to freezing is going to require an even bigger burst of enthusiasm - where did I put that scuba gear?!)  :wacko:

Thinned out my row of perpetual spinach - took a nice long time as I sowed very thickly because the packet was about 3 years out of date..........expect you can guess the rest!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #2022 on: September 12, 2012, 15:08 »
Greenhouse explore for me too today.

Shallots are drying along one side - they look fine. I chopped all the tomato plants down and collected the last of the cherry tomatoes. That's one greenhouse ready for something else.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2023 on: September 12, 2012, 22:03 »
Yesterday picked 4 sweetcorn cobs and ate them with butter all by myself. I was so proud.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2024 on: September 13, 2012, 09:54 »
Yesterday picked 4 sweetcorn cobs and ate them with butter all by myself. I was so proud.

ditto ... but I shared with my wife..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 35 queries.