What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1965 on: August 24, 2012, 11:33 »
Yesterday...The first decent visit to the plot for ages:
  • watered
  • skimmed off the weeds (it's that bad in places!)
  • forked over the now weedless area
  • picked beans & dug potatoes
  • made a cup of coffee
  • cut the paths with the hand-mower

Came home as the street lights were coming on.

Spoke to a policeman for about an hour after finding the sheds had been broken it again. This time they tipped the contents of one of the sheds upside down, not sure what they were looking for, maybe a key to one of the other sheds. We thought they had taken the strummer but found it next door, it looks like they were disturbed as. They left all their tools they used to break in in their shed. So far all we can see that they took was petrol, they took the petrol out of the strummer, took a can or fuel and took the petrol out of next doors generator.
We have to go back later and repair the damage to the shed doors and locks  >:(

Sorry to hear this but I'm pleased to hear your visitors took the petrol away rather than used it to set light to anything! Finger-prints from the tools left behind?

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1966 on: August 24, 2012, 11:53 »
Decided there was no chance of getting any more edible sugarsnaps or seeds to save for next year so dismantled my wigwam-cum-frame.
Did I really need to use that much poly twine for them to cling to?!  :ohmy:

Oh well, it was still easier than trying to disentangle them from pea netting and the ensuing battle to neatly fold up the netting (at 7' tall last year the row was like a giant spinnaker threatening to take off into the wild blue yonder!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1967 on: August 24, 2012, 16:05 »

Sorry to hear this but I'm pleased to hear your visitors took the petrol away rather than used it to set light to anything! Finger-prints from the tools left behind?

Yes CSI got some prints off the tools, strummer and one of the padlocks, they just need to see if they belong to us or not  :blink:
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

grendel

« Reply #1968 on: August 27, 2012, 10:17 »
cleaned the rotovator carb, as when I used it last week it stopped and though it would fire it wouldnt keep going - diagnosis blocked jet.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Eblana

« Reply #1969 on: August 27, 2012, 10:31 »
I managed to get a couple of hours up at the plot yesterday :D :D :D  Beautiful day but looking out this morning it was only the calm before the storm - very wet and very windy today.

Harvested - French Beans, Runner Beans, Tomatoes, Cukes, Peppers and Chili's

Picked:  Big arm full of Dahlias, Glads and Sweet Peas (running out of vases!!)

Dug up the last of my onions and left them to dry in the PT as the weather forecast was dreadful (they got it right!!!).

Weeded, weeded, weeded - where do they all come from???

Planted out some lettuce, p. spinich, s. chard, rocket and pak choi.

Great day and I felt really good as I returned home.

Yana

« Reply #1970 on: August 27, 2012, 12:53 »
Weeded leeks, thinned turnips, swede and Beetroot.
Repaired damage to gazebo housing brassicas, tied in runner beans as they we're looking decidedly dodgy (Note to self: build a Munty frame next year).
General tidy up and came home for a lovely cuppa.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

allot2learn

« Reply #1971 on: August 27, 2012, 17:47 »
Two of us dismantled a 10' x 20' shed which has been donated to our association for use as a meeting room. We began to task of moving it around 100yds and rebuilt the base section. We will continue tomorrow if the pain subsides by then.  :lol:

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1972 on: August 27, 2012, 18:54 »
Completed a wonderful harvest this morning followed by turning  the compost heap then as always more weeding and a bit of rotavating until I ran out of petrol at about the same time as  the rain started. All in all a very satisfying session.
Retired but never short of a job.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1973 on: August 27, 2012, 19:37 »
Hubby and I called in at the allotment this afternoon.  The site was pretty quiet with only a couple of allotment holders about.  The weather was fairly good - dry and a little overcast.

We had cleared out the chicken run today at home, so had brought up bags of the composted "manured" bark chips to put onto one of the lasagne beds on plot 37 which had already had a layer of grass added a couple of weeks ago. 

We fed and watered the squashes, courgettes and pumpkins on this plot too.

Hubby cut the paths while I cut back some of the flowers that have finished and I harvested runner beans, climbing beans, courgettes, squashes, raspberries, turnips, beetroots, spring onions, chillis, tomatoes, aubergines and some rosemary.

We finished by feeding and watering the GH, much relieved that there is still no sign of blight inside.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

grendel

« Reply #1974 on: August 28, 2012, 11:34 »
took the fixed rotovator up the plot and finished digging over all the unplanted areas. its great for gathering bindweed, picks it up, winds it round the blades nicely. along with most of the other weeds.
once the weeds  have dried out I'll rake them all up and then have a better go with the rotovator.
picked half a bucket of apples and all 4 pearsand a handfiull of raspberries.
Grendel

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1975 on: August 28, 2012, 15:08 »
I got carried away and did a bit too much  ::)

Took all the net tunnels off the brassicas, weeded them, did a caterpillar hunt, fed them with chicken poo pellets and reapplied organic slug pellets.  Then renetted them all.

Climbed into the PSB, swede and kale cage and weeded that while trying to spot any caterpillars.  More chicken poo and slug pellets.

Thinned and weeded the turnips and mustard greens.  The fennel and beetroot seedlings had disappeared (darn slugs  ::)).  More slug control applied.

Pulled out all the spent plants from the first batch of sweetcorn.  Weeded the whole patch and dug it over.  Found some mini cobs for the chickens - they went mad when I got home  :lol:

Got enough weeds to fill a small compost bin to make a hot rot heap, but feeling it now  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1976 on: August 28, 2012, 21:39 »
and tomorrow when you go, New Shoot, that heap will not only be hot but two thirds of the size  :lol:

Me, I thinned out the tomato leaves in the greenhouse at home, took off some mildewy looking leaves from the cucumber plants, and brought in another two pounds of toms plus a cucumber.

Coupl of blighted leaves so must keep a careful eye as there is still a lot of fruit to ripen
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jmc1949

« Reply #1977 on: August 28, 2012, 21:44 »
I got carried away and did a bit too much  ::)

Same here, New Shoot. My arms and back are aching. Decided to dig over an 10 foot square area on my second plot. Only got a quarter of the way through as the ground was very heavy and wet.
Then transplanted the strawbs into their new raised bed.
Came home and weeded all the borders in the front garden.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1978 on: August 29, 2012, 01:51 »
I got carried away and did a bit too much  ::)

Same here, New Shoot. My arms and back are aching. Decided to dig over an 10 foot square area on my second plot. Only got a quarter of the way through as the ground was very heavy and wet.
Then transplanted the strawbs into their new raised bed.
Came home and weeded all the borders in the front garden.

Ah but think of all the good it did you (and the plot).... fresh-air, relaxation & renewal, good for your heart and your bank balance (cheaper than a gym subscription).

A warm bath and back at it again tomorrow will sort out those aches and pains.... he says creaking and groaning from merely trimming 100' of privet hedges.  :lol:

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1979 on: August 29, 2012, 12:09 »
got the onion bed sorted and ready for autumn planting onions and garlic hope they grow better this time , picked runners and french beans weeded the second plot from one end to other had my head phonon and didn't realise how long id been up there till wife rang saying i had meant to be home two hours ago whoops in her bad books again lol
keep allotments alive grow your own

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 34 queries.