What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Thrift

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1800 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03 »
More weeding for me.

At least the carrots and beetroot are doing well. Potatoes are all blighted so nothing there  :( and the beans are looking slightly more enthusiastic.

Wellpotty1

« Reply #1801 on: July 19, 2012, 13:29 »
Final clearing of the two beds for brassicas, waited in shed for rain to go off; Planted rows of Purple sprouting Broccoli, Spring Cabbage & Winter cabbage. Stood in shed for 15 min waiing for rain to go off; Put new hoops & fine mesh over to keep out as many nasties as possible. Stood on more nettles in the process but still managed to sting my arms, went back with hedge choppers & chopped off at the ground to dig out another day as shoulders already aching. Decided time to tidy up & go home; waited in shed again for rain to go off; squelched around -glad have good kiwi red band gumboots on- collected tools & found that rows of carrots are struggling to come up & potatoes planted first week -8th June- have black spots on leaves next bed from previous owner with some potato plants in also have black spots & wilted leaves. Is this the start of blight then? Raining again, went home.
Kiwifruit

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1802 on: July 20, 2012, 09:58 »
Sun arrived too late for my potatoes so I dug up the blighted plants in the bed and trimmed off the foliage from the ones in the pots that I didn't have time to harvest. 

A planting gap!  I can't wait to plant up the bed now! 

Trimmed the shared paths with the manual mower.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1803 on: July 20, 2012, 15:18 »
been and watered greenhouse , picked some more peas bug up some really nice spuds ,cut some cabbages pulled beetroot and carrots ,and picked raspberries  :D :D
blueberries coming on very well now netted over to stop birds having them , strawberries coming to an end now but should have some for grand kids this weekend as they will want to pick thire own  bless them  ::) ::)
keep allotments alive grow your own

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #1804 on: July 20, 2012, 19:37 »
Raining all day, so I did a little furniture renovation in the polytunnel and roughed it with a butty! 8)

Li

« Reply #1805 on: July 20, 2012, 20:51 »
 :tongue2:Had a lovely afternoon on plot took the day all in my stride weeded around the cabbages and sprouts, whilst there i pulled a lovely white turnip, white radish dug up 5 potatoe plants from which i had planted original potatoes from bought bag, 6 beetroots tennis ball sizes and all my shallots as they had dried in the ground didn't want to loose so i thought it would be for the better  ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1806 on: July 20, 2012, 21:04 »
Weeding, weeding and guess what?

More weeding!! :D :D

I cleared the peas that had gone over while I was on holiday and planted mroe lettuces and brassicas while the sun ACTUALLY shone! :wub:

Paul Plots

« Reply #1807 on: July 21, 2012, 01:38 »
I didn't reach the plot but stayed in the garden and not the most exciting day until.........

Spotted a large white van parked at the end of my neighbour's garden (he's away for a week or two) so wandered (as you do) quite speedily to see what was going on.  :unsure:

"It's alright mate, we're just clearing up the scrap metal."

I told the bloke he couldn't take anything else as my neighbour wasn't in (although it would have been lovely to see the neighbour's junk cleared) and no they couldn't go along the rest of the lane to clear it unless they went round the front of each house and asked first. And... no I didn't want them to move the bike at the back of my garage or even think about my aluminium greenhouse staging inside the fence....which they seemed between them to be eyeing up.

The police said I did the right thing letting them know but I could ring 999 if I see a crime taking place.

I explained that I didn't think the "scarp man" and his two brawny helpers would have waited until Monday afternoon for the police to arrive without clearing every garden first and sauntering off.  :(

As it was the van sped backwards at light speed - not at all helpful.   I had been given the "scrap man's" mobile number... very kind but I wanted the van reg too. Got it.    So have the police.  ;)

They left, their tyres throwing up gravel all over the place and didn't get as far as taking the four aluminium wheels sitting next to the garage further along the lane... but I think they would have done if I hadn't wandered out.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kirpi

« Reply #1808 on: July 21, 2012, 12:52 »
Gathered up the brown onions which were left drying on the path next to the onion bed, home to dry in the sun (yes - sun) on wire trays.
A bit of weeding and watered the green manure seed bed, which was the onion bed this year.
Still red onions to harvest but they have a while yet - necks not falling over.
Push-pull mower on the paths and sitting area; good exercise!
Will walk the dog back up to the allotment to pick mange toute and broad bean pods and a lettuce for tomorrow's get-together.

jmc1949

« Reply #1809 on: July 21, 2012, 15:26 »
Picked all the peas (they have been waterlogged for the last week and all leaves have turned yellow). Then dismantled the wigwam.

Then went across to my new quarter plot and started strimming the grass. In parts it's 4ft high in weeds as it hasn't been used for 18 months.

Charityuk

« Reply #1810 on: July 21, 2012, 17:28 »
Ordered a shed  :D Found local company that will deliver to the allotment, and ring us as they set off so we don't have to sit by the gate all day.

Dug up all the Belanas and remaining Golden Nugget first earlies. Picked some more jostaberries.  husband cleared another 4 barrowloads of yucky old carpets and weeds, still trying to create a decent area for the shed!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1811 on: July 21, 2012, 17:33 »
I didn't reach the plot but stayed in the garden and not the most exciting day until.........

Spotted a large white van parked at the end of my neighbour's garden (he's away for a week or two) so wandered (as you do) quite speedily to see what was going on.  :unsure:

"It's alright mate, we're just clearing up the scrap metal."

I told the bloke he couldn't take anything else as my neighbour wasn't in (although it would have been lovely to see the neighbour's junk cleared) and no they couldn't go along the rest of the lane to clear it unless they went round the front of each house and asked first. And... no I didn't want them to move the bike at the back of my garage or even think about my aluminium greenhouse staging inside the fence....which they seemed between them to be eyeing up.

The police said I did the right thing letting them know but I could ring 999 if I see a crime taking place.

I explained that I didn't think the "scarp man" and his two brawny helpers would have waited until Monday afternoon for the police to arrive without clearing every garden first and sauntering off.  :(

As it was the van sped backwards at light speed - not at all helpful.   I had been given the "scrap man's" mobile number... very kind but I wanted the van reg too. Got it.    So have the police.  ;)

They left, their tyres throwing up gravel all over the place and didn't get as far as taking the four aluminium wheels sitting next to the garage further along the lane... but I think they would have done if I hadn't wandered out.

Just as well you were awake, there.

We nearly lost a whole lot of old metal library shelves stored behind the shed at work to two lads in a van, in similar circumstances. The police were not really all that helpful but I did pass on the number plate details.

We do tend to tempt these 'chancers' without meaning to, by leaving stuff around in partial view

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnneB

« Reply #1812 on: July 21, 2012, 18:37 »
Harvested some peas, broad beans, Music garlic, strawberries and handful of raspberries.

Weeded a bit, killed a slug or two.

Planted out some turnips and some celery.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1813 on: July 21, 2012, 20:12 »
 Just as well you were awake, there.

We nearly lost a whole lot of old metal library shelves stored behind the shed at work to two lads in a van, in similar circumstances. The police were not really all that helpful but I did pass on the number plate details.

We do tend to tempt these 'chancers' without meaning to, by leaving stuff around in partial view

Slightly off topic ,but when we were moving equipment from our factory to another site.It was put outside waiting for the transport truck to return.An opportunist scrap man came past and took it About 5000 quids worth,luckily we managed to get it back.

Now back to gardening,finished making 12 mesh covers to replace rubbish netting that was

covering them.Moved cucumbers to outside shelter,repotted cape gooseberries,did some

weeding. Gave some coleus and penstemon plant away.

Cheers Carl  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 21:31 by sunshineband »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1814 on: July 21, 2012, 21:35 »
Removed another three buckets of stones as the first earlies were dug up, and put thm along the base of the fence to reinforce the rabbit proofing

Planted out the rest of the leeks - American Flag and Bleau de Solaise - and the PSB.

Weeded the cabbage cage and the squash and sweetcorn bed

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 33 queries.