What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Kim50

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1710 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48 »
Nothing!!!..for the 3rd time this week got thoroughly drenched within 5 minutes of arriving.  However a very busy week, weeding, weeding and more weeding.  Edged all my paths, mowed when the sun came out.  Plantes sprouts, fennel, surviving courgettes, french beans and the only 2 'free' bush toms that gerninated.  Was going to sow some salad stuff this am.

Have gone a bit overboard with the toms, at last count 32 on plot with most of them in flower.  My daughter asked why have you got so many, when there are still some in the freezer from last year!..Well, the way the weather is at the moment, maybe that is not such a bad thing  :ohmy:

Have also discovered, i hate slugs with a vengence.  Not only do they have a go at everything, have had to replanted beans twice (I knew there was a reason for gerninating so many), but they were hiding in the weeds as i was clearing.  I have knelt on and squashed so many.  Have also resorted the the horrible blue killer pellets, but it was that or have nothing to harvest this year  :(

grendel

« Reply #1711 on: July 07, 2012, 14:05 »
Ah yes the number of times I have got a handfull of slug with the weeds, and the sticky goo is a pain to get off your hands too.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1712 on: July 07, 2012, 14:25 »
Looked at it  through the rain....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Charityuk

« Reply #1713 on: July 07, 2012, 14:30 »
Braved the on/off drizzle for a good session. 

Kids and I harvested 5 Golden Nugget plants (first earlies) and got 3lb (1.3kg) - is that good? I don't know. They were planted 9th April.

I then cleared off another 4 barrowfuls of weeds, rubbish etc. Bindweed and more bindweed.
Discovered a redcurrant bush in the area that is still a jungle, but it only had about 5 berries on it and we don't like them anyway, so hacked most of it down.

Despite the soggy soil, husband dug the rest of the next long bed (that I started last week). Put in the 12 runner bean plants that were rapidly outgrowing their pots.  Although they may well get snailed - the one remaining cauli is almost totally denuded :(   The pumpkins are not being eaten though, which is good.

jmc1949

« Reply #1714 on: July 07, 2012, 14:37 »
Just checked the plot over. It's too wet to do anything today, even though it's a sunny 21 degrees.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1715 on: July 07, 2012, 14:50 »
We trooped down there and withing 20 minutes the heavens opened so we had to come home :( hopefully tomorrow will be less wet
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1716 on: July 07, 2012, 21:28 »
Spent some time on the plot yesterday with the children.  Cleared broad beans and filled a carrier bag with the harvest.  Plus harvested more strawbs, mange tout, french and borlotti beans, psb. Laid more cardboard over a new lasagne bed on the new plot and topped the other new one with a final layer of compost (will hopefully get planted this week). 

Move the tarpaulin up over more weeds on the new plot and marvelled how quickly the weeds are growing on the new beds!  More weeding next week me thinks!

Today, we popped up and were the only plotholders there.  We just harvested more soft fruit.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

hotcrossbun

« Reply #1717 on: July 07, 2012, 22:14 »
Spent a lovely afternoon on our one month old plot.  Strimmed, mowed and tidied up as it was an embarassment yesterday!  Planted some dwarf beans and some carrots and netted the beans so they wouldn't go the same way as my peas a couple of weeks ago. Got given lots of tomato plants so need to pot them on tomorrow.  Rescued two enourmous poppy plants and found a space for them, I LOVE poppies.

We were the last ones to leave and it was so peaceful.  Shed coming next week so will have somewhere nice to sit and relax. 

Yana

« Reply #1718 on: July 07, 2012, 23:23 »
Didn't get there today. Had so much planned but never got anything done because of the horrendous downpours.  However........ Did manage to pick sugarsnap peas growing at the end of the garden as well as tie in the tomatoes in the greenhouse and stand in awe of my first cuke. About 8" long and there are loads of little ones coming along nicely.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1719 on: July 07, 2012, 23:46 »
Didn't get there today. Had so much planned but never got anything done because of the horrendous downpours.  However........ Did manage to pick sugarsnap peas growing at the end of the garden as well as tie in the tomatoes in the greenhouse and stand in awe of my first cuke. About 8" long and there are loads of little ones coming along nicely.
We are not far from you yank, the weather was indeed rubbish, a spheavy shower every 30 minutes resulted in nothing getting done!

Yana

« Reply #1720 on: July 08, 2012, 07:43 »
Looks like not much going to get done today Symon as rain is on already in Dartford and set until early evening. I need to put leeks in as they are getting too big to be in pots now and salvage the peas and broad beans that have survived the rain and wind.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1721 on: July 08, 2012, 11:19 »
Depressing isn't it.  :(

Yana

« Reply #1722 on: July 08, 2012, 15:55 »
Took a chance around 10am this morning and dashed to the lottie. Got drenched as downpour started not long after I got there. Managed to check everything is OK and (miraculously) picked broad beans and Beetroot. Pulled a cabbage and some kale and OH dug a few potatoes.

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1723 on: July 08, 2012, 17:03 »
looks like i'v got tomato and late potato blight have dug up all the new and mid's potato's and took all the greenery to the tip as not allowed to burn anything  :(

did get about 50lb of potato's they look good will store them in the shed until needed  :)

pick peas and curly kale for Sunday dinner and then forgot them they sitting on the bench out side so will have to go back later after dinner  :ohmy:

oh well at lest i did not get to wet today and topped up my tan between showers  8)

Katejs

« Reply #1724 on: July 08, 2012, 19:57 »
Expected to get rained on but actually had 3 dry hours - is this a record?  Sprayed tomatoes and remaining potatoes in the hope of keeping off the blight that meant we had to take the tops off 2 rows of potatoes yesterday.  The spray will probably wash off by tomorrow, but at least we tried.  Planted my cabbage seedlings at long last - they've been hanging around in my back garden for weeks, and did some weeding.  Compared blight notes with neighbours.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post May 17, 2024, 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 34 queries.