What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1665 on: July 01, 2012, 17:31 »
Harvested potato onions.  Quite a few were going to seed, which is a pain as I save the bulbs year on year, but salvaged a seed crop and maybe a few to eat  ::)  The Music garlic was so rusty I couldn't stand it any longer, so that's out and that was the last of the overwintered onion/shallot/garlic patch emptied so dug the whole lot over and installed blue water pipe and net tunnels ready for cabbage and kale to be planted out into.

Weeded through asparagus patch and I have lost 3 over the winter as still no show.  Luckily was in Wyevale yesterday when they were marking down veg and got 3 sturdy plants for £1.50 each so they can go in there as replacements  :)

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1666 on: July 01, 2012, 20:12 »
Weeded as much as possible. (four bags full). Picked some peas, broad beans and dugthefirst new pots for dinner. Chased a rabbit off the plot! :mad:
At home, pinched out side shoots on tomatoes and then fed them, the cukes and chillis. Checked all the container grown veggies.

Yana

« Reply #1667 on: July 01, 2012, 20:23 »
Cleared a patch of ground that had the overwintering broad beans.
Put in more climbing freanch beans and succession planted White Lady runner beans.
Weeded sweetcorn, onions, Beetroot and carrot in raised bed.
Picked peas, broad beans, kale, cabbage and raspberries.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1668 on: July 01, 2012, 20:31 »
Weeded
Picked peas
Weeded
Mowed grass
Weeded
Planted beet root as first lot put in didn't grow
Weeded
Killed some red ants
Weeded ( are you seeing a theme here?  :tongue2:)

Busy day!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1669 on: July 01, 2012, 20:48 »
weeded around the sugar snap peas. for some reason that particular bed grows massive weeds every night

harvested some curly kale and cabbage. Started digging my permanent paths. finally discovered some tiny little green tomato's in the poly tunnel.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1670 on: July 01, 2012, 21:23 »
Met up with two of our friends and we all enjoyed a picnic lunch on our plot today - despite the blustery but sunny weather.

We then set to work weeding the plots, then replanting the onion patch with beetroot and sprouts which we netted. 

Lots of cropping - mange tout, french beans, broad beans, gallons of strawberries, charlotte potatoes and tons of courgettes.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1671 on: July 01, 2012, 21:44 »
Met up with two of our friends and we all enjoyed a picnic lunch on our plot today - despite the blustery but sunny weather.

We then set to work weeding the plots, then replanting the onion patch with beetroot and sprouts which we netted. 

Lots of cropping - mange tout, french beans, broad beans, gallons of strawberries, charlotte potatoes and tons of courgettes.

So jealous, we don't have any signs of courgettes yet and I love them! All our crops are very very late this year. Sounds like you had a lovely day

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1672 on: July 01, 2012, 22:13 »

So jealous, we don't have any signs of courgettes yet and I love them! All our crops are very very late this year. Sounds like you had a lovely day

Hi Symone, yes it was a great day today - it's not always like that.  I have responded to your thread.  I hope you can turn around you plot, seems such a shame that you aren't getting more out of it as it should be feeding your soul - not just your appetites!

We have been lucky with our courgettes as I continued potting them on into larger pots whilst the weather was horrible and resisted the temptation to plant them out earlier so they didn't sulk as some have done.  The crops are behind, our potatoes certainly are behind, but stuff is starting to pick up - I just wish this wind would calm down as this is causing our exposed plot no end of problems.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1673 on: July 01, 2012, 22:36 »

I know what you mean, today we had blistering heat, rain, clouds and then wind. Last year we lost loads to the really late frost we had and now this year all the veggies have had to learn to swim! Still looks like we may neon track to get some September courgettes  :)

Hi Symone, yes it was a great day today - it's not always like that.  I have responded to your thread.  I hope you can turn around you plot, seems such a shame that you aren't getting more out of it as it should be feeding your soul - not just your appetites!

We have been lucky with our courgettes as I continued potting them on into larger pots whilst the weather was horrible and resisted the temptation to plant them out earlier so they didn't sulk as some have done.  The crops are behind, our potatoes certainly are behind, but stuff is starting to pick up - I just wish this wind would calm down as this is causing our exposed plot no end of problems.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1674 on: July 01, 2012, 23:17 »
Watered the greenhouse again
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

AnneB

« Reply #1675 on: July 02, 2012, 08:00 »
Weeded.  Tied up the tall peas that are reluctant to cling to the chicken wire themselves.
Noted decimation by slugs.  Come on you nematodes, do your stuff!

Dug first 2 Lady Christl potatoes and only got a small handful.  Very disappointing.

Netted the strawberries.

Unwanted pond at the bottom of the plot has returned.

grendel

« Reply #1676 on: July 02, 2012, 09:38 »
Strimmer finally working properly, strimmed the rest of the weeds on the unplanted sections down to ground level, started weeding the peas, just those and the leeks that are going to seed left to clear, and on that half plot I will be caught up to where I should be - now all I need is the plants to catch up too.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1677 on: July 02, 2012, 11:41 »
took to and helped new member of site put up his shed not easy as he had no tools with him ,lucky had what was needed in my shed ,then he came and had look at my two plots and asked if they dig it over for you ,didn't know if he was serious or not , :unsure: :unsure:when he went back to his i got on with tying in my toms and cucumbers in the greenhouse , ::) ::)
keep allotments alive grow your own

jmc1949

« Reply #1678 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51 »
Marked out where my plot starts and ends as the bloke on the next plot has started to get very close to mine. We aren't allowed fencing and our plots are defined by a dividing 2 foot path either side of the 20ft width.

Then dug up some potatoes and planted more drawf beans. Started to rain so came home.

jenny53

« Reply #1679 on: July 02, 2012, 12:10 »
well pop in quick as it rainning very hard here in the New Forest ..
dug a few spuds then retreated back home ..
 :lol:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 33 queries.