What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1455 on: June 04, 2012, 15:22 »
been up plots cut some more Broccoli Monaco and Cauliflower all year round and picked some broad beans dug over area were vandals had been having fun pulling stuff up that all ready for a new crop now tied runner beans into poles ,and heaped up some farm yard manure ready for the winter ,
keep allotments alive grow your own

AnneB

« Reply #1456 on: June 04, 2012, 15:59 »
Planted out yellow courgette, patty pan squash, yellow and white varieties, plus a Boston squash.  Also first lot of sweetcorn went in, and 2 miniature white outdoor cucumbers.
Did some weeding, noted that one of my Lady Christl potatoes seems to have rotted off at soil level, rest are all through, along with the British Queens.   Puzzling.

One of my overwintering onions has thrown up a seed pod.  Not a success, from a net of mixed red and white sets, I have managed 8 white onions and 4 red ones.  Rest were no shows.

OH did some path weeding and maintenance.

CofE peas coming along nicely.  Broad beans still pathetic this year.  PSB and caulis seem to have stalled and not making growth.  The runners, Climbing French and Borlotti beans seem none the worse for the cold deluge they got yesterday, a day after planting.

jmc1949

« Reply #1457 on: June 04, 2012, 16:27 »
Weeded to of the raised beds, planted out 2 courgettes and 4 patty pan squash, then earthed up the potatoes again.  Chatted to other plot holders too.   At home weeded all borders in the front garden.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1458 on: June 04, 2012, 17:18 »
watered the toms which are coming along beautifully. Planted out my courgettes, half on the compost heap and half in their own bed, so we'll see which do the best.
Did a ton of weeding. I swear the blighters have all appeared in the last three days since I was last there.
Watered some seedlings in the polytunnel and desperately tried to remember what the heck they are. Must label everything in future. They might be runners. Or possibly chillies.

jrko

« Reply #1459 on: June 04, 2012, 17:22 »
Mega weeding job and covered over a vacant patch to keep the weeds down.  Nesting robin was very happy with the worms I turned up but not so happy that I was working near the nest
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1460 on: June 04, 2012, 22:56 »
Took a trip down after my daily work schedule... My son came down as well and we made a framework and netted over the strawberries... them pesky birds have eaten 2 massive strawbs that I was going to pick today..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1461 on: June 05, 2012, 16:16 »

Planted out another 25 climbing french beans

Watered in the greenhouse,then went home because of the rain again! 

Paul Plots

« Reply #1462 on: June 05, 2012, 16:20 »
Before the rain set in we managed to plant up my parents front garden so it's now set on "atuomatc watering"..... 8)

I had hoped to clear the remains of the last bonfire and continue skimming away the grass to dig a new Kitchen Garden Veg patch.

That's another job on hold.... but as the washing is sorted, my father showered, lunch done and cleared, for once I intend to stay sitting for a whole hour!!!!  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

allotmentann

« Reply #1463 on: June 05, 2012, 16:44 »
Had a lovely day at the plot, the rain held off, but it was quite cold. I managed to clear the last of the compost heaps near my gate. Pulling out prehistoric bindweed! Never seen roots like it. Cleared some rubbish. Took yet more metal stuff to the recycling bit. Took unwanted plastic chairs to the trolley by the gate where the 'free to anyone' spot is and struck lucky. Someone had donated loads of plastic pots - so I actually found something in the trolley - a first for me! Planted out more tomatoes and dwarf french beans, and some different varieties of parsley. Spent a lot of time chatting to allotment neighbours and allotment dog walker! Allotment people are a nice bunch!

ratherangelic

« Reply #1464 on: June 05, 2012, 20:45 »
We went this morning and managed to do some weeding and put some netting over the brassicas that are left after the pigeons have attacked them.....Fingers crossed they survive!!!!

Now just need to work out a way of protecting the courgettes from the slugs!!!! they have had one of the plants and the others aren't looking too good.  Altho have 5 baby cucumbers that are looking good for the time being.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1465 on: June 05, 2012, 20:53 »
Over this weekend I have planted out the sweetcorn (bought in due to bad experience with compost... turns out to be baby sweetcorn too) courgettes, squashes and pumpkins, kidney beans and some cos lettuce

I worked very very slowly but Mr Sunny has extended the concrete shed base so we can move the shed back against the boundar, as well as put in some posts to attach the split bamboo windbreak too. The stones we have dug out of the plot have made the bulk of the hardcore.. great recycling  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

frizzy

« Reply #1466 on: June 05, 2012, 22:01 »
Was raining this afternoon so went up in my waterproofs. Harvested massive spinach leaves and planted more spinach, mizuna, spring onions and two kinds of radish. Sowed some more carrots and parsnips as the ones i put in april came to nothing. Transplanted beetroot seedlings to allotment after starting in pots. Marvelled at new guttering on shed to water butt. Pleased rhubarb is getting some new leaves! Some potatoes have flowerheads, exciting!  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #1467 on: June 06, 2012, 00:33 »
Was raining this afternoon so went up in my waterproofs. Harvested massive spinach leaves and planted more spinach, mizuna, spring onions and two kinds of radish. Sowed some more carrots and parsnips as the ones i put in april came to nothing. Transplanted beetroot seedlings to allotment after starting in pots. Marvelled at new guttering on shed to water butt. Pleased rhubarb is getting some new leaves! Some potatoes have flowerheads, exciting!  :lol:

If the rain carries on all day tomorrow I think waterproofs might be the answer I'm searching for.
I really do need to get the new Kitchen veg garden ready!!!  :blink:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1468 on: June 06, 2012, 19:33 »
Popped up for a couple of hours as the sun was out.

Bit of light weeding then planted 8 courgette/squash plants and my sweetcorn plants in the bed.

I also planted half my cheapy onion setts which I had previously started off in modules.  Hopefully these will make nice small onions by the end of summer as an addition to the large overwintered onions already growing.  I also planted some more spring onions started off in modules.

I had taken some cardboard up with me, so flattened this and put on one of the lasagne beds on the new plot and luckily got hold of some newly delivered cut grass which I used to cover the cardboard.  
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1469 on: June 06, 2012, 20:49 »
Planted eight Florence fennel plants and six runner bean plants. Some light weeding and planted a sweet potato plant in the greenhouse. Plus watered the tomatoes and sweet peppers
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post May 17, 2024, 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 34 queries.