What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1350 on: May 24, 2012, 13:04 »
I've been putting up the bean frame, will plant runners later when it's a bit cooler  :)

Emmie

« Reply #1351 on: May 24, 2012, 13:52 »
Unlocked my shed and stood there thinking something looks different!!!!!!
Thats it my mantis tiller has been nicked.
Somebody has removed the bolt assembly and took my tiller the radio and the petrol can and then unbelievably they put the lock assembly back together?????
So after my intial rage I carried on with planting my brassicas and netting over then peas and beans went in.
After speaking to the guy at the top of the site (2 plots away) he said his gate was left open this morning and his plot had foot prints across it and a mysterious set of ladders had appeared behind his shed???
 I confiscated them and hid them in my polytunnel until they are claimed. Only good thing is it does not appear to be a fellow allotment holder who is a tealeaf which will stop me wondering WAS IT YOU whenever I speak to somebody.

Got home and checked my insurance policy and £100 excess so its not worth trying a claim either.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #1352 on: May 24, 2012, 14:02 »
That is stinking rotten. Poor you  Emmie.  :(

It is too hot a to do anything at the moment will wait until it is cooler and then replant the some more courgettes in the refillled pots and then sling the chilli powder around and put netting on top to stop the blasted fox.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1353 on: May 24, 2012, 16:09 »
Planted tomatoes and bell peppers in the greenhouse. Sweetcorn that has been growing in loo rolls into the plot and lots and lots of watering
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Yana

« Reply #1354 on: May 24, 2012, 17:07 »
Planted out toms in greenhouse, moved remaining  chillies and aubs to greenhouse from indoors, after moving runners and French beans out of greenhouse to make space for the chillies and aubs.
Transplanted 80 climbing French beans (second sowing) into paper pots.
Cleared remains of first sowing of mixed salad leaves and immediately sown with next sowing (added salad fertiliser to replenish soil) in large trug/trough in the garden.
Waiting for it to cool down and them back to do watering.

I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1355 on: May 24, 2012, 17:29 »
Planted the greenhouse toms into their builder bucket pots - got an interesting mix thanks to some seed swaps on here.  Hillbilly, Black Seaman (this is a bush variety but worried about blight this year so they are staying inside), German Orange Strawberry, Tigerella and a double stemmed grafted cherry tom.  We had these at work and curiosity has made me buy one to try  :)

Also managed to squish in an F1 cuke but the peppers and chillies are going to have to wait until I plant some more stuff out, before they get ejected from the windowsill  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #1356 on: May 24, 2012, 17:48 »
I've been putting up the bean frame, will plant runners later when it's a bit cooler  :)

Great minds think alike - I'm off to the plot to do the very same having spent 2 hours playing musical (?) chairs with my father who complained all day his chair was uncomfortable so we tried out an electrically driven recliner.......then, because I wouldn't stay all afternoon & evening while he sat in it, he returned to the old chair!!!!!

Fortunately the weather is gradually cooling off.......and so am I.  >:(  :blink: ::) ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1357 on: May 24, 2012, 18:29 »
Played musical herb beds having finally tracked down a French Tarragon plant - discovered that creeping grasses have invaded my herb patch from the lawn (I refuse to accept the possibility that it might be couch grass!  :ohmy:) so my chives now have to be sorted into round and flat-stemmed "herbs"!  ::)

Few other bits and bobs, with long "heat breaks" in between each job - lots of watering to do tonight............. :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

frizzy

« Reply #1358 on: May 24, 2012, 22:25 »
Checked everything for sun/heat damage but everything is looking ok.  Clay soil does have its advantages after all!  Planted some runner beans and some more peas.  The gooseberries are starting to grow, so will net them at the weekend.  Discovered some of the trees on the edge of my plot are damson trees, result!

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1359 on: May 25, 2012, 00:14 »
Quick visit to the plot today mainly to put netting over the raised bed because there are three cats roaming around our allotment and I think they have been digging it up, I couldn't find any poop so hopefully they weren't using it as a loo :ohmy: We had planted some lettuce seeds in one quarter but they will be all over the place now :(
I also watered everything because it was bone dry and I was going to start digging another bed but it was way too hot and I had a banging headache

Paul Plots

« Reply #1360 on: May 25, 2012, 02:37 »
Quick visit to the plot today mainly to put netting over the raised bed because there are three cats roaming around our allotment and I think they have been digging it up, I couldn't find any poop so hopefully they weren't using it as a loo :ohmy: We had planted some lettuce seeds in one quarter but they will be all over the place now :(
I also watered everything because it was bone dry and I was going to start digging another bed but it was way too hot and I had a banging headache

Wear a hat and drink loads!!

Martyg

« Reply #1361 on: May 25, 2012, 08:22 »
More early morning watering
And spuds earthed up. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #1362 on: May 25, 2012, 11:54 »
Bean poles up and the first batch of runners in - Scarlet Runner (as they germinated) first.

Strawberries hand weeded and poles in place read for netting.

Loads of watering done.

Now off to tackle the end of the garden that will be a salad plot one fine day soon!!

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #1363 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00 »
Watered the runners - the tallest (Enorma) is waist height  :blink:  Took a few photos of everything looking nice.

Then a trip to the allotment to water the french dwarf beans and drop off some sweetcorn in trays (growing in toilet roll tubes) - got a compliment on how healthy they look from a dog walker; I'll be dropping back in on the way home from work to hopefully get some or all of them in the ground. 

The roots are getting a bit knotted at the bottom of the tubes - I hope I don't do any permanent damage when I separate them.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

compostqueen

« Reply #1364 on: May 25, 2012, 13:02 »
Not been near my plot for ages  >:( but at home I did manage to take out some lovely finished compost from one of my daleks. I could have eaten it, it looked so lovely  :D  I used it to improve the soil I was planting some cabbages in

I sieved it first.  It looked the business!  Better than the rubbish I bought for sowing seeds in  :nowink:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 34 queries.