What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1320 on: May 21, 2012, 20:40 »
Picked up some grass clippings from a freecycler today and delivered to the old plot, ready to use for the new plot when we get back next week.  When I arrived at the site, a local gardening company had left - four bags of grass clippings!  So, I grabbed another one!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

jrko

« Reply #1321 on: May 21, 2012, 21:14 »
planted up my toms in the greenhouse - trying canes this year instead of string/wire and MUST pinch out side growth.  6 beefstake 5 plum and 1 tumbler

Tomorrow I'll move the aubergines, peppers & chillies to their final spot
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1322 on: May 21, 2012, 21:46 »
Had a great time yesterday.. Planted out my courgettes, summer squashes, my delicious Gem-squash (from africa) Hubbards and a few leftover garlic plants that were in pots.

Some small chillies, toms and egg plant that are not growing fast in the home GH so planted out in the GH at the plot which gets more sun. Hopefully they might grow now..

I also planted out some garlic into my nursery area that I have been growing on from seed (bulbils). This seed was harvested by a friend from seed last year and I planted a few months ago - potted on once and as they are all growing well I decided to plant them out to grow. They will take a few years of planting, reaping, drying and replanting again. They will eventually get big cloves after about 3 years of nurturing... well so I'm told!

I'm on my second year of that Malarkey!  :D Last year the tiny bulbils grew into larger bulbils; I'm expecting more of the same this year.  The  bulbils were collected from  the stems of the garlic plants. However, the plants from the cloves from Y1 that I grew and saved from last year are looking very happy this year! All this from four heads purchased at Waitrose! :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1323 on: May 21, 2012, 22:28 »
Hi NN2B - yep thats what I was told.. 3 years to get the plant to grow as proper bulbs with normal cloves of garlic.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1324 on: May 21, 2012, 22:57 »
thank goodness for warm sunny days. Such a difference. Let the growing commence at last.

I planted out my brussels sprouts and kale under a vast net.

Sadly, after all the effort I put into bringing these on from seed and potting up, I believe I will probably lose them to cutworm. Happens every year to me.......
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #1325 on: May 21, 2012, 23:02 »
thank goodness for warm sunny days. Such a difference. Let the growing commence at last.

Sadly, after all the effort I put into bringing these on from seed and potting up, I believe I will probably lose them to cutworm. Happens every year to me.......
Did you read trillium's tip about planting a pencil thick stick up against the stem?  I've tried it after 2 casualties - no more losses so far  ;)

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1326 on: May 21, 2012, 23:12 »

Did you read trillium's tip about planting a pencil thick stick up against the stem?  I've tried it after 2 casualties - no more losses so far  ;)

that sounds good. thanks i will try that! thanks a million     :o)

grendel

« Reply #1327 on: May 22, 2012, 14:49 »
relaid 16 paving slabs after I found the slab I had started from on the old paving was slightly tilted and affecting my levels, all good now though, waiting out the hottest part of the day, then back to lay more slabs.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Martyg

« Reply #1328 on: May 22, 2012, 15:14 »
Planted out my marrow plants.
Everything springing to life!!
Inspected some slug damage  >:( more pellets needed.
Weeded and dug more
Sunbathed and relaxed too.
Considering only had plot 3 months max looks like it is going to be productive year.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1329 on: May 22, 2012, 16:39 »
planted out my sweetcorn as were about 14 inch's tall in my cold frame and cant shut it down of a night so made a nice big cloche to go over them all so they wont suffer ,all so had to do the same for my granddaughters pumpkin as it had formed a nice fruit on it and is quite big all ready , :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
keep allotments alive grow your own

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1330 on: May 22, 2012, 16:51 »
I think I may have burned my courgettes and squashes today in the hot sun... they were loosley cloched with open ended plastic roof sheeting but still seem too hot... so I watered them, raised the bottoms off the beds with some planks and added some enviromesh to shade them a bit. Will check tomorrow.. May have to buy more seed quickly!!

AnneB

« Reply #1331 on: May 22, 2012, 19:28 »
Went up after work and it was glorious at the plot.

The unwanted pond has dried up - fantastic.

I planted my experimental Sturon onion sets (37p from Wilkinsons) in the space where the failed onions from seed should have been.  Late I know, but we shall see.
Noted that the garlic is now looking stupendous, following sprinkling of Slug gone sheeps wool pellets.  They were looking a bit yellow at the end of the leaves. So although the pellets seem to be useless at keeping off slugs, they are quite good as plant food.

My poor crimson flowered broad beans are so stressed due to slug damage that they have started flowering even though they are only 6 inches tall.  Spread some slug pellets (the organic OK variety) and see if that helps, but afraid it is looking terminal.  Wondering if it is too late to start again now.

All the stuff at home actually outside to begin hardening off.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1332 on: May 22, 2012, 19:51 »
Dug up the invading couch grass from the path at the back of the pea bed and put some new wood edging in and then added another string to the pea supports.

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #1333 on: May 22, 2012, 20:07 »
Planted some marigolds in between the broad beans to try and encourage in the hover flies (in hope that their larvae in turn eat the black fly).  Changed batteries in the rabbit scarer and listened to the Cuckoo.

IainC

« Reply #1334 on: May 22, 2012, 20:43 »
I got my allotment today so I've started digging up a small area!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 36 queries.