What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1230 on: May 12, 2012, 22:25 »
Allotment, more hand and knees weeding, earthed up three rows of potatoes and sowed a packet of carrot seed (flyaway).
Backyard garden. dug over a patch and put up canes for runners beans (Butler) which are growing nicely in pots in a cold frame.
Retired but never short of a job.

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1231 on: May 12, 2012, 22:26 »
made a fame so i could cover the fruit trees with netting hope i get more then one cherry this year as the birds eat them all last year

put canes up with netting over in greenhouse for 2 cucumber to grow up they are over a foot tall and have lots of flawers there feller's have already found the netting so it's on would's and up would's   :D

be nice when my other 6 cucumber's get bigger there only 3" tall and have stop growing since all the rain and no sun  

had to move the greenhouse around again as tom's are getting so big be nice when they can go out side  ???

weeded round onions, runner beans, peas, broad beans, bind weeds a right pain  :(

going to make a frame round the fruit bushes tomorrow

oh yes and have 2 lovely cups of tea sitting in the sun 20c out side the shed and 40c in the greenhouse had to open window and door manage to get it down to 30c

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1232 on: May 12, 2012, 22:38 »
Had a good day there today.

Pulled up the last of my leeks and dig the bed over (and removed the weeds!!) ready to replant.

Weeded over half of the plot. Created climbing support for peas and magetout - finally they have started to put on a bit of growth

gathsman

• Enjoying The Good Life!
« Reply #1233 on: May 12, 2012, 23:23 »
Hi, I know it's probably too early, but I've
 Planted my tomatoes, squashes and pumpkins! I don't have a greenhouse and they were getting too big to keep indoors and they are out growing their pots! So basically theyd of died or become useless anyway so its a risk worth taking! Any suggestions on how I can help them stay alive outdoors will he most welcome!! Cheers!

Li

« Reply #1234 on: May 12, 2012, 23:46 »
Hi Gathsman i would normally put a closhe over my fragiles like squashes courgettes and pumpkins till they are established hth

On my own today i made some raised beds for my carrots and generally tidyed around back tomorrow for some more building and sowing

gathsman

• Enjoying The Good Life!
« Reply #1235 on: May 13, 2012, 00:12 »
Hi li, well I left them in open air tonight to fend for themselves! I'll see how they go! If they're ok tonight should I just leave them to acclimatise or should I still cover?? Obviously if we are due a frost I would cover out of precaution anyway! Cheers then! Time for bed after a hard but productive day I think!!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1236 on: May 13, 2012, 01:09 »
Nattered a little...... (made a change as usually too busy)

Hoed a lot.....as usual

Sowed turnip and parsnip seed

Buried a dead rat.... seemed more sense than my plot neighbour carrying it around in a carrier bag  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1237 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35 »
Planted a sink with Aldi herbs, put in three French bean plants under pop bottle cloches and gave the shed a coat ofpaint which was desperately needed.
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1238 on: May 13, 2012, 15:31 »
Anyone know what this is for?

IMG_0400 _rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #1239 on: May 13, 2012, 15:32 »
Anyone know what this is for?

Its a mouse trap... they cant tightrope walk or swim!!

Charityuk

« Reply #1240 on: May 13, 2012, 16:57 »
Bought hoe and two new spades, husband broke one yesterday while atempting to lift out a particularly large dandelion.

Cleared another 2 barrowfulls, hoed a lot. Planted 6 sweetcorns and 30 leeks into the new bed dug out yesterday. Never grown these before, so we shall see.  Kids are very keen on the sweetcorn, so as long as we get one cob each it will be ok.

snowdrops

« Reply #1241 on: May 13, 2012, 20:57 »
Mr S & I were down at the plot about 8:30am where we dug a bit of couch grass roots & mares tail out. Then we dug out some more & more for about 3 hours :ohmy: I'm sure there's still 4 times as much under ground as we dug out. We had a couple of cuppa's & a bacon butty cooked in the shed.Then Mr S went home & I dug some more roots out then sowed 9 short rows of parsnip. Used all my packets up. Wow I'm tired luckily when I got home Mr S was doing dinner so I went for a long soaky bath before starting the ironing.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1242 on: May 13, 2012, 20:59 »
Hubby and I went to the plot today with the children in tow.

Hubby turned the compost bins, emptying two which we used to top dress some of the beds and plant the last of the potato tubers in pots.  Our little boy helped empty the heap with his little wheelbarrow.

I created a new slimline bed for some strawberry runners I propagated last year.  They are almost all flowering and are a good size, so hopefully we will get a small crop out of them (if the birds don't get them first).  Our little girl helped plant the strawberries (well, she lost interest after planting 6 but that wasn't bad!)

Hubby and I planted up the dwarf beans, butter beans, black eyed beans, runner beans and haricot beans into the bed which we had pre-warmed and they are now covered in fleece.

We covered the squash/sweetcorn bed with black plastic to start warming this bed up.

The children helped plant up the potatoes in pots.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1243 on: May 13, 2012, 21:10 »

Strimmed a load of nettles and grass which had gone mad.

Raked over some of the beds.

Did some weeding

frizzy

« Reply #1244 on: May 13, 2012, 22:33 »
Tripped over a tree stump  :blush:

Hoed between onions and shallots, planted some radishes, transplanted turnips and checked broad beans for wind damage (seem to be ok when I left but it might be a bad night). 

Set some more herbs off in pots in the kitchen (dill, coriander, fennel and some more basil, which I think my kitchen might be too cold for as it doesn't seem to do very well).

Admired my neighbour's rhubarb.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 32 queries.