What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

RuthLG

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1215 on: May 12, 2012, 13:39 »
Been warm and dry here so for once I managed to get some stuff done outside. The second of my deep beds is now properly edged (with wood). Because I am using the square foot method, combined with a crop rotation plan, this bed is for potatoes. I dug the top layer of soil off altogether, dug over the lower layer (not into the subsoil), raked it level and added a big bag of compost. Just come in for lunch, then will be out again getting the spuds into their beds and tucking them up nicely.

jmc1949

« Reply #1216 on: May 12, 2012, 15:35 »
Planted 8 French Bean Kinghorn Wax and then netted the bed. Sowed a row of Parsnip Hollow Crown and Carrots Early Nantes2.  Also sowed 2 seeds of Marketmore Cucumbers under a cloche thats been in place for 2 weeks warming the soil (hopefully).

Started pulling a pallet apart. Will be using the wood for a small raised bed.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #1217 on: May 12, 2012, 15:44 »
earthed up 25 rows of spuds planted out courgettes as they were pot bound put the canes in for the runner beans and im going to put the pumkins out tomorrow as well im having a beer now but 4hours of earthing up makes me tired lol
and i will put the greenhouse up tomorrow as well

grendel

« Reply #1218 on: May 12, 2012, 16:31 »
nothing up the plot, but got some tomatoes potted up, weeded the hanging strawberry baskets and generally tidied up the garden.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1219 on: May 12, 2012, 17:17 »
We got loads done today. Painted the shed, put up some shelving and got the lock on the door. Took all the tomato's, beans, cucumbers and sweetpeas down to the poly tunnel and also all the brassica seedlings which will be going out once the plot has dried out a bit. I finally have my windowsills back!

Started off a new compost heap, made a start on the dog proof fenced area we're going to put in, had copious cups of tea and met some more plot neighbours.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1220 on: May 12, 2012, 18:45 »
Spent a couple of hours getting greenhouses ready and tidying the garden and then went to the 'lotment and put strings up for the peas.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1221 on: May 12, 2012, 18:55 »
Sowed another row of peas
Third row this year 2weeks apart first lot now growing well starting to put out tendrils garden string put along canes for both sets previously planted although the second sowing only 4 to 6 inches high.

What I did find today the top six inches of soil is drying out but when I put the spade in full depth it was very wet dug a hole 18 inches deep only for it to fill the bottom 2inches with water.

Looks very much like I will have to dig drainage ditches the sub soil is very sandy the plot is on a slight slope so I am hoping the top end were I planted my potatoes is a little dryer.
As this is my first full season on the plot last year was just digging over and weeding getting it ready for this year.
Just when I thought I was getting to the end of all the hard digging .
I will have to speak with the neibouring plot holder to see about direction of a land drain .
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #1222 on: May 12, 2012, 18:59 »
Stocked up on the 'blue pellets of doom' and Bayer F&V Disease control (just incase).  ::) Watered my Nine Star Perennial (3 in pots) as it seems to be drying out since I moved it under the Veggiemesh.  :blink: Wondered whether I should harvest the 1" heads appearing on one of them or whether I should just stand back and watch as there seems to be a shortage of seeds at the mo. ???
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1223 on: May 12, 2012, 19:06 »

For a change it wasn't raining!

Raked over where loads of weeds had grown.

Tidied up strawberry beds.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1224 on: May 12, 2012, 20:19 »
Nothing on mine, but I did go to Nige2plots and have a tour, eat from a buffet and drink tea.  :D

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #1225 on: May 12, 2012, 20:23 »
tidied up a bit and removed my last bit of cover from a bed. remembered how this bed has a mass of couch grass at one end. spent ages pulling out those spaghetti roots. the time I put in about 30 spinach plants I had started in the frame. I also planned to put in a red cabbage just one - I wanted to do a whole row but time ran out. . . :-(
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

snowdrops

« Reply #1226 on: May 12, 2012, 20:24 »
Nothing on mine, but I did go to Nige2plots and have a tour, eat from a buffet and drink tea.  :D

I went to mine & planted my Lady Balfour potatoes,drank tea with my plot neighbour,then came home & went to  Nige2plots and have a tour, eat from a buffet and won a prize in the raffle :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1227 on: May 12, 2012, 20:50 »
We got loads done today. Painted the shed, put up some shelving and got the lock on the door.

What colour did you go for in the end yorkiegal?
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yana

« Reply #1228 on: May 12, 2012, 21:07 »
I've not posted to this forum before, and maybe my I should ask in the growing forum, but everyone seems to be putting stuff out that I thought was frost sensitive? Or am I just behind?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1229 on: May 12, 2012, 21:35 »
We got loads done today. Painted the shed, put up some shelving and got the lock on the door.

What colour did you go for in the end yorkiegal?

finances dictated that it just got a quick going over with some pound shop wood treatment for now :(

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 35 queries.