What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Plot74

• tilly
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #945 on: April 17, 2012, 21:52 »
Hoed between onions today they have doubled in size over the last week. Down to the April showers.
Sowed a couple of rows of beet root and a row of lettuce .
Potatoes not through yet peas doing very well .
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #946 on: April 17, 2012, 22:40 »
Was away visiting inlaws for the weekend so snuck off Mon and Tue afternoons for a few hours. Started digging the final patch - I have a 14 mt x 5 till finished. I have given myself till mid may so should be ok. I'm double digging and painstakingly removing all the rots and weeds etc. so it take a while to do.  Planted 2 Black currants and fitted cut tyres around all the currant bushes to make like a barrier to stop wood chippings going too close. I'm gong to lay weed fabric and cover with wood chippings..  
Photo-0014 _rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #947 on: April 17, 2012, 23:02 »
Managed to squeeze in a couple of hours whilst kids were at nursery this afternoon.  Located my water butt stand/pot storage (made from pallets) in situ, just need to rig up the guttering on the greenhouse now and add a tap to the butt!

Planted various varieties of kale, broccoli, cabbages, turnip, cauli, celery today. 

Transported first batch of tomatoes to greenhouse on plot - now safely snug under fleece in greenhouse.  Also managed a quick tidy up of pots into the new storage under the water butt.  Moved water butt onto stand. 

Then suddenly realised I was late to collect kids so dashed away like a getaway driver from the site!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #948 on: April 18, 2012, 10:01 »
I have some fenugreek seeds going. Sowed them in modules a couple of weeks ago and they're doing really well in the greenhouse. It's a bunny favourite. I even had to hide the seeds so they didn't eat them.  :lol:

how long they take to sprout? i was interested in growing it to make Kasoori methi (dried leaves) as my dad has trouble getting the "real mcoy". i thought animals would hate it becuase of the strong smell...now i have to be extra careful of the birds and pesky pigeons... ah well...worth a try.   :happy:

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #949 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15 »
I have some fenugreek seeds going. Sowed them in modules a couple of weeks ago and they're doing really well in the greenhouse. It's a bunny favourite. I even had to hide the seeds so they didn't eat them.  :lol:

how long they take to sprout? i was interested in growing it to make Kasoori methi (dried leaves) as my dad has trouble getting the "real mcoy". i thought animals would hate it becuase of the strong smell...now i have to be extra careful of the birds and pesky pigeons... ah well...worth a try.   :happy:

Not sure about the birds but you may have to protect it from rabbits! Seems to be like catnip to them!  Didn't seem to take very long at all. i sowed a whole load of herbs on the 25th and the fenugreek was first up. :lol:

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #950 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22 »
In a cricket metaphor, Rain Stopped Play
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Meik

« Reply #951 on: April 18, 2012, 14:01 »
Quick visit,

• patatoes are starting to come through
  • rubarb is on speed  :ohmy:
  • Onions and Garlic seem ok

Made big list of things i'll need todo this weekend as havent been over in two weeks  :blink:

jmc1949

« Reply #952 on: April 18, 2012, 15:00 »
Planted up some small grasses and primulas along the back edge of the plot. There's a brook running along the back of our site so I planted them along the top of the bank and will put in other plants in keeping with the area. 

Also did a second sowing of parsnip seeds.  Then weeded the second bed and 'oops' weeded the area where I had sowed leek seed and beetroot. Those seeds could come up anywhere :ohmy:

Then decided to remove more rotting carpet from the path, This is the second layer which has some grass and weeds growing through.  Unfortunately, I have found yet another layer of carpet underneath.  Oh well, I'll get up eventually.

grendel

« Reply #953 on: April 18, 2012, 17:20 »
will it be carpet all the way down?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #954 on: April 18, 2012, 18:05 »
Grand afternoon . pulled up numerous tiny weed seedlings . I take this as a good sign - the soil is warm. sowed two rows of  lidl carrot seed tape . anyone tried them ?.

stood back and admired my plot in the evening sun.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

jmc1949

« Reply #955 on: April 18, 2012, 18:52 »
will it be carpet all the way down?
Grendel

I hope not. It's taken me 6 months of hard work getting rid of the carpets on the plot and I thought this was the last bit I needed to remove. I'm hoping to enlist my plot neighbour to help with the last bit.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #956 on: April 18, 2012, 18:57 »
Went up after work and with all the rain we have had today it was way to wet to do anything worthwhile. I just watered the seedlings and plants in the Greenhouse
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #957 on: April 18, 2012, 19:14 »
Waded down to chicken coop, collected eggs, fed chooks then waded back.  Chickens were drenched - despite half their run being covered they still insist on standing in the uncovered half getting soaking wet.  They're not very bright.  ::)

Bit of watering in the greenhouse then decided that was enough for today.
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #958 on: April 18, 2012, 20:54 »
richrua, I haven't planted the Lidl carrots on tape, but have used the gherkins and dill tape which was very successful if that helps(?)

Rain has dictated my activities today.  I have been sowing and potting on like mad - tomatoes galore, autumn broccoli, pumpkins, courgettes, squashes, chillis, aubergines, kale, cabbages, cauli, french beans.  All now nestled in my conservatory (ones needing more tlc) and greenhouse (bigger boys).  I have now run out of potting compost, so need to venture to the garden centre for some more (the thought of lifting wet bags of compost has put me off so I might wait for my hubby to help out!)

grendel

« Reply #959 on: April 18, 2012, 21:06 »
thinned out the radishes in a pot in the garden, the thinnings will be going in a salad with tea tomorrow.
Grendel

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 33 queries.