What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #780 on: April 04, 2012, 16:45 »
I've been down to check what was still there after the horrendous weather we've had this morning. So glad my plot neighbour suggested I put a couple of bricks in my new compost bin on sunday. I reclaimed 2 plastic dustbins & put bricks in them too. Then I squelched back to the car  came home.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grendel

« Reply #781 on: April 04, 2012, 17:16 »
weather/ its been a lovely day here in sunny kent, shorts and t shirt weather (a little cold until you get working).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #782 on: April 04, 2012, 20:58 »
well that was a quick decision, my wife decided we needed to actually get the slimline water butts for the conservatory, 3 of them, B&Q only had 6 left and no fittings, so I bought 4 hose connectors and cobbled them together to connect the butts and shortened the downpipe to run  into the butts. of course they had to be tested, so before the hosepipe ban comes into force they have been filled and the connectors tested, taps tightened, leaks stopped etc. so at least we have 66 gallons available to keep the seedling veg watered over the next few weeks, more will no doubt be bought when we rebuild the shed into a greenhouse to collect any rain from there.
Grendel

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #783 on: April 04, 2012, 21:03 »
Measured the fruit cage very carefully, before I order the netting to cover it  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Thrift

« Reply #784 on: April 05, 2012, 20:36 »
Watered a few things and then planted my recent purchases.

1 loganberry and 1 blackberry (both thornless) against south facing walls, 1 azalea and 1 lavender. Good to make a start on something!

Springlands

« Reply #785 on: April 06, 2012, 08:06 »
The mud bath that was my veggie patch has finally started to dry out - so started my 'winter' digging. This is my second year working on this new veggie patch in my garden and I am incorporating sharp sand and anything else that I can to try to improve the texture of the clay soil. On the good side have noticed that I have lots of worms in the area that I am currently working on - had hardly any last year.  :)

jrko

« Reply #786 on: April 06, 2012, 12:10 »
First visit since returning from Arizona.  

My black/red/white currents are in leaf, my raspberries are in leaf/shooting, my rhubarb has recovered from an early nibble attack, my gooseberries are in leaf, cherrie x2 have buds bursting and plum & apple are soon to flower by the looks of things.  Peas have survived outside so far!

Toms in the greenhouse are looking good as are peppers (bell & chilli)  Fig tree is getting leafy and my dahlias & echinacaes are about to shoot into life.

Neighbours have watered my seedlings etc lovingly - unfortunately my 1000l tank that was full 2 weeks ago is empty :blink: A leak maybe  :blink:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:12 by jrko »
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
« Reply #787 on: April 06, 2012, 14:22 »
This morning I planted a couple of half rows of peas, and some perpetual spinich. After that i got a bit of weeding done then made it home just before the rain started!

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #788 on: April 06, 2012, 15:08 »
Pulled up my leeks.

My first ever attempt at growing these, so relatively happy with the result.

Going to put some more in again this year and see if I can get some bigger offerings.
Leeks.jpg

stewpotty

• My Blog
« Reply #789 on: April 06, 2012, 18:27 »
After a morning of sowing celery, sweet corn and squash and repotting tomatoes on the windowsills at home I went to the lotty and sowed some rows of mixed lettuce in the greenhouse and beet root,pak choi and land cress outside. Dug over the next beds which i will sow in a couple of weeks and added some blood,fish and bone. Put netting over my brassica bed1 which I cobbled together from sticks, string and old bit of net. Good luck pigeons!

I have been allotmenting for 1 year now and have learned to stagger my sowing so am doing a row at a time in beds I can cover with netting. Am looking at treating myself to a poly tunnel later this year....

AnneB

« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2012, 18:29 »
OH went to the plot to do some more soil sifting for the new raised bed.  However, he was met with a lake which prevented intended activity, so he did some weeding of all the new mare's tail coming up in the rest of the plot instead.  

I stayed at home and had a mega seed sowing session.  I sowed 6 varieties of outdoor tomato, 2 varieties of turnip, some autumn cauliflower, brussels sprouts, maincrop peas, Japanese bunching onions, flat leaf parsley, summer cabbage, pak choi (the non bolting if sown before summer variety) and 3 varieties of lettuce.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #791 on: April 06, 2012, 18:31 »
After a morning of sowing celery, sweet corn and squash and repotting tomatoes on the windowsills at home

Fingers crossed for you, but you may be a little early with the sweetcorn and squashes. You dare not put them out until all danger of frost is past and they could be pretty big plants by then.

I'm sitting on my hands for a few weeks yet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Big Stev3

« Reply #792 on: April 06, 2012, 18:32 »
I have sown my peas and a few salad crops.
Planted my seed potatoes, main crop, and started building my bean frame.

Headgardener22

« Reply #793 on: April 06, 2012, 18:33 »
Good Friday so planted 1st & 2nd early potatoes, maincrop will go in next week.
Picked the last of the sprouting broccoli (can now clear the bed ready for whatever goes in this year).
Weeded one bed (7mx2m) and got a barrow load of speedwell from in amongst the garlic and broadbeans  >:( anybody know if speedwell has any uses (apart from compost)

stewpotty

• My Blog
« Reply #794 on: April 06, 2012, 18:52 »
I have a few squash and sweet corn already a couple of inches tall, am planting them with beans so need the corn to have a head start so the beans can grow up them - 3 sisters. Have bigger indoor pots at the ready  ;)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 33 queries.