What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

galen

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #630 on: March 21, 2012, 18:15 »
wow 5 days for chillies... !!  where did you put them? what temperature? what soil?

3 days, not 5  :lol:

Normal multi purpose compost in a heated propagator, no thermostat but on south facing window sill, temperature depending on central heating and sun varied between 25 and 35c (approx). Should say expecting to wait a few weeks for the other variety sowed, but my other 5 over wintered varieties have also just burst back into life   :)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #631 on: March 21, 2012, 19:51 »
Spent most of monday and today, painting the two sheds at home which were desperate for some tlc.

But managed a bit of time at the allotment, forking over the ground removing the flush of weeds that have appeared and marking out where the beds will be on the newer two plots.

Came home with a nice bunch of spring onions today as well
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: March 21, 2012, 20:47 »
Planted out crimson flowered broad beans and shallots that I had started at home in modules.

Dug over a patch ready for climbing mangetouts and got the canes in place.  Just got to pick up the netting and they can go out at the weekend  :)

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #633 on: March 22, 2012, 00:07 »
Planted 1 row of shallots and 4 rows of onions - I actually wanted more shallots, not sure what I was thinking when I bought them! :wacko:
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

AlixP

« Reply #634 on: March 22, 2012, 14:15 »
Planted brocolli, hope it's not too early  :unsure: Netted it to protect it from the pigeons. Fingers crossed. Watered, watered, watered!!

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #635 on: March 22, 2012, 15:35 »
Planted out 28 beetroot seedlings and 40 King Edward seed potatoes. Rigged up an awful looking fleece contraption for the sweetcorn seedlings that I started far too early that are going leggy on the windowsills and will have to be planted out at the weekend. Hopefully my Heath Robinson many sticks and fleece combo will keep them frost free for a while. Must remember to contain my seed planting excitment next year (I say that every year) :tongue2:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #636 on: March 22, 2012, 18:04 »
Delivered some scaffold planks to use as walkways between rows of veg.. I wont have beds - I've gone for the cottage garden style with rows of veg either side of my main centre path which is flagstoned. Watered the broad beans and 4 rows of garlic as they were looking a bit dry. Carried a few bags of free horse manure from the main gate and spread where my potatoes will go in a week or so time.. Must get all my strawberry plants from the GH and roof to take to the plot for planting at the weekend.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #637 on: March 22, 2012, 20:01 »
Sowed some more seeds today, including some brocoli, cauli, chinese cabbage, cabbage, sprouts and cant remember what else, just as well they are labelled.  :happy:

I got really excited because my mangetout - (never grown before) has germinated yay  :D and some broad beans are on there way!!

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #638 on: March 23, 2012, 10:46 »
Planted out 28 beetroot seedlings and 40 King Edward seed potatoes. Rigged up an awful looking fleece contraption for the sweetcorn seedlings that I started far too early that are going leggy on the windowsills and will have to be planted out at the weekend. Hopefully my Heath Robinson many sticks and fleece combo will keep them frost free for a while. Must remember to contain my seed planting excitment next year (I say that every year) :tongue2:

I would say you would need a bit of luck with the sweet corn!  :)

Nice website BTW
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #639 on: March 23, 2012, 10:50 »
I am peering into the future and I predict a quick exit from work this afternoon...

And here is what I WILL be doing on the allotment today....

Gonna prepare another bit of a bed.
Water a few things in the cold frame.
Plant some more onion sets (Sturon).
Sow a row of carrots in a small bed and try to figure out how to cover them...
Tidy up around the compost bin.

Relax a bit.

I will let you know later how well I faired.....

tonel

« Reply #640 on: March 23, 2012, 18:45 »
Had the day off work today, spent part of the morning potting on some tomato and aubergine seedlings at home, then spent a few hours on the allotment forking in manure on beds ready for potatoes, along with weeding and tidying the others and uncovering and starting digging on a new bed.

Feeling quite satisfied as the allotment is looking quite tidy, lots of stuff done today. Quite tired now though :)

grendel

« Reply #641 on: March 23, 2012, 19:17 »
spent a few hours in the garden and pruned / slaughtered our apple tree - last year we had so many apples several branches had bent and split under the weight.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

gail127

« Reply #642 on: March 23, 2012, 19:30 »
Hello to you all, joining tonight if nobody minds, just been given my own allotment which is very exciting mum of 2 and youngest is only 6 months which is going o be a challenge (waiting list was supposed to be 10 years not 1.5 ) spent today digging out rubble and putting up a bean pole wigwam for the kids to play in.( I'm a childminder too) can't wait for lighter nights so can really get stuck in looking forward to getting to know you all

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #643 on: March 23, 2012, 19:41 »
Thanks to hubby who has been working so hard for me on the lotty, I now have raised bed no. 4 in  8). He helped me plant some red onion and white onion sets, 2 redcurrent bushes, 1 blackcurrent and relocated 6 raspberries that had lived in pots for the winter.  While I planted some more maris peer, maris piper and kestrel pots, and sowed some more seeds, baby gem, lambs lettuce and some mixed salad thing!!!

Oh and did loads of watering!!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #644 on: March 23, 2012, 19:50 »
Took the afternoon off and dashed to the plot... the joys of being self employed.. Started the strawberry bed for my plants I grew on from runners on my roof top garden..  manured, fertilized and started digging - removing all the roots which takes loads of time but worth doing it properly to start with.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 31 queries.