What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #570 on: March 14, 2012, 18:46 »
Yesterday I lifted leeks for dinner, dug over the old strawberry bed and trimmed the plum trees a little more (hoping that I have the right time of year!)

Paul, I hope you treated the pruning cuts to with arbrex or such like. Helps prevent silverleaf.
Plums need to be pruned when the sap is rising. Reading up in my RHS manual before I pruned mine, they reckon from Feb onwards, so since we're both in the south of the country, we should be ok.  :)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #571 on: March 14, 2012, 18:58 »
I shoveled up all the ash from my bonfire yesterday, coarsely sieved it thru some chicken wire on a bin and stored it.  Then collected a few barrow loads of free manure from the entrance gate and spread it ready to dig in for my early spuds.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

ferret1988

« Reply #572 on: March 14, 2012, 19:36 »
Did a bit of weeding, planted some more beans and peas, measured my planting plot and marked it out into 2ft by 30ft lengths,and returned a escaped hen  8)

Paul Plots

« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21 »
Yesterday I lifted leeks for dinner, dug over the old strawberry bed and trimmed the plum trees a little more (hoping that I have the right time of year!)

Paul, I hope you treated the pruning cuts to with arbrex or such like. Helps prevent silverleaf.
Plums need to be pruned when the sap is rising. Reading up in my RHS manual before I pruned mine, they reckon from Feb onwards, so since we're both in the south of the country, we should be ok.  :)

Thanks for the tip - very much appreciated. :happy:

I had heard about silverleaf / leaf curl and need for sap to be active..... always pruned in summer before but read somewhere (?) that a tidy up should be possible in Spring so I'm hoping for the best.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

daveylamp

• happy planter
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2012, 10:12 »
yesterday dug over first bed for onions raked in growmore left till today for planting.
first two rows of sharps express planted. rest of that bed prepaired for todays assault on more potatoes and onion sets.
I'll beat this heavy clay yet. now almost there works well now

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2012, 14:45 »
Took off some more grass, not much left now to uncover. Also lit a fire and burnt the brambles.
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2012, 17:41 »
tidied shed its looking good with new work bench put lots of hooks for tools along the back and side  :tongue2:
found garlic with 1in sprouts was for gotten in a bag of bits  so planted out hope they will be ok 

dug over bed 3 again looks clear of weeds  :) also sieved though 5 barrow loads of very rocky soil

water seeds in greenhouse all looking good

weather been very misty for 3 days know but the sun did come out a about 1

sister was helping today as she had a day off
as she was walking backward with the wheel barrow she fell over a stack of paving slabs straight on her cocksets  :ohmy: also put a big hole in her trasers and grassed her leg looked very painful so helped her up got her to sit in the sun then help her to the car told her to have a nice bath and some pain killers when she got home hope she will be ok   :unsure:

jrko

« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2012, 18:45 »
Got as far as I could with digging & weeding now.  As we are on a slope I am 2ft below my neighbours plot.  In that 2ft all my bramble, nettle and bind weed grows......under my neighbours path into my plot!  I've had to dig away and shore it up as I go.  I've also gl???sphated the new leaves of the bits i cant get. 

Moved 200l barrels to receive rain this weekend and any that falls over the 2 weeks I'm away.

Must plant gooseberries tomorrow!!
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2012, 19:04 »
Hi Guys & Girls update on the plot ..... today i fitted crop bars in the tunnel and some staging down one side here is a few pictures

one of me Lemon tree :)

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2012, 19:06 »

Made seep hoses from some of the old hosepipes I have.

Put them in the 5 raspberry beds I have, which are about 18ft long each.

Attached 6 pint milk cartons at each end, at about 4ft high on the end posts

Carl

grendel

« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2012, 19:36 »
spent most of the day in the garden, planting seeds and putting them on plastic shelving units we have placed inside the mini tomato greenhouses that I got really cheap last year (2 for  £4.50) from wilco at the end of the year.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Paul Plots

« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2012, 00:58 »
Hi Guys & Girls update on the plot ..... today i fitted crop bars in the tunnel and some staging down one side here is a few pictures

That is very impressive but I am not in the least bit jealous.... honest!!  :unsure:  :lol:

simonwatson

« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30 »
Found that mice had been in my box of seeds left at the plot. :mad: Now I know why you need to ping your seeds to the wall rather than leave them accessible at floor level. Not too much damage done as I think there were just too many for the little blighters to get through.

Took home what I could rescue and have planted:

Tomatoes (sweet millions, maramande, gardeners delight, tiny tom)
Peppers
Chilies

In a propagator on the windowsill and

Cabbage
Cauliflower
Sprouts
Leeks

In the unheated open greenhouse.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2012, 15:51 »
Got the last of three grass off the plot, now just got to dig it over and then I can start planting things. Took five bags of rubble to the tip, repotted the tomato seedlings and planted a parsnip seed in a toilet roll tube

jrko

« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2012, 16:25 »
Griffette I'm VERY jealous

Cleared the greenhouse of windows (for the soon to be 'larger' greenhouse) in readiness of my return from holiday and tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers that will take up residence.

Planted my 3 gooseberries in large pots as I haven't cleared their home of weeds yet.  Mulched my red/white/black currents.  

Put off planting my 6' peas as we are expecting a frost tomorrow.  Will have to do Sunday pm - perfectly timed so I dont get in the way of Mrs JRKO packing  :lol:  

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 35 queries.