What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #435 on: March 02, 2012, 19:45 »
Marvellous day today. the boss told me to go home at lunch time! Never happens! So with herself still at work and the kids still in school, there was nothin for it but to spend the afternoon on the plot. i got so much done. it was a nice enough day too. lets see i finished preparing a row for earlies. i turned over the compost and discovered i had more than i thought. :-) i weeded a bit. pulled back some ground cover to fork over a patch for peas. Watched my garlic gro :)w. chatted with some friends . one of whom gave me a few raspberry canes. popped those in. planted 24 pansy. i like them my mum always grew them when we were kids. i got them real cheap at a large hardware shop . . . Reduced but with nothing at all wrong with them !
Thats it i think. what a day.  :D
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Paul Plots

« Reply #436 on: March 02, 2012, 19:47 »
Marvellous day today. the boss told me to go home at lunch time! Never happens! So with herself still at work and the kids still in school, there was nothin for it but to spend the afternoon on the plot. i got so much done. it was a nice enough day too. lets see i finished preparing a row for earlies. i turned over the compost and discovered i had more than i thought. :-) i weeded a bit. pulled back some ground cover to fork over a patch for peas. Watched my garlic gro :)w. chatted with some friends . one of whom gave me a few raspberry canes. popped those in. planted 24 pansy. i like them my mum always grew them when we were kids. i got them real cheap at a large hardware shop . . . Reduced but with nothing at all wrong with them !

Sounds brilliant!!!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Weaver

« Reply #437 on: March 02, 2012, 20:35 »
Had every intention of doing some more weeding but ended up replacing four broken panes in one of the Greenhouses.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #438 on: March 02, 2012, 21:17 »
Some digging the grass off or new plot, shifting some wood to the tip and had a huge bonfire
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #439 on: March 02, 2012, 21:41 »

Sounds brilliant!!!!

Ditto - so lucky..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

snowdrops

« Reply #440 on: March 02, 2012, 21:48 »
Finally decided to get on & do the deed. Off I went with my sprayer & roundup. I really don't like spraying but the new plot is so full of couch grass I can't see that I would get any thing planted this year.So now I just need to wait the 2 weeks for it to get to work.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jmc1949

« Reply #441 on: March 02, 2012, 21:59 »
Finally decided to get on & do the deed. Off I went with my sprayer & roundup. I really don't like spraying but the new plot is so full of couch grass I can't see that I would get any thing planted this year.So now I just need to wait the 2 weeks for it to get to work.

I too have a problem with couch grass and like you don't like weedkillers, but needs must. I will be spraying the plot this weekend, or early next week depending on the weather.

At home today, mowed the lawns, they look so neat now.

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #442 on: March 02, 2012, 23:13 »
Spent the afternoon putting up my new shed before the forecast bad weather this weekend. The very nice allotment secretary said if I cleared an area in a bramble/plum tree/grape vine patch next to my plot, I could put it in there so as not to use any of my plot and try and hide it a little.

Still a few finishing touches, but now I can keep my tools on the plot and it's somewhere to hide  :D
Shed.jpg
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #443 on: March 02, 2012, 23:26 »
yeah couch grass.

I have plenty too. I bashed away at it organically for a year and a half. Still pulling out bits of root.
Creeping buttercup is a divil too for me. If only cabbages could grow so prolifically.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #444 on: March 03, 2012, 00:26 »

I thought roundup must be sprayed onto growing stuff... mine is all hibernating...

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #445 on: March 03, 2012, 14:00 »
Raked in lots of very old well rotted manure on the plot, turned the dalek compost bins into my jumbo compost bin(holds about 2 ton), went home and sowed some sweet olive tomatoes, im only doing three types of tomatoes this year, moneymaker, maskotka and sweet olive.

Edited some spellings re search purposes
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 14:02 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #446 on: March 03, 2012, 14:02 »

I thought roundup must be sprayed onto growing stuff... mine is all hibernating...

You're not wrong.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Weaver

« Reply #447 on: March 03, 2012, 17:01 »
Productive few hours with not much rain...

More weeding on the 10m x 7m area, slowly looking better.

Cleared small Greenhouse and added Growmore.

Weeded around Garlic.

Cleared old Broad Beans from canes.

Took tops and labels off about 40 drinks bottles to use as Gloches.

Sown some Fristina Lettuce in the main Greenhouse.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #448 on: March 03, 2012, 17:07 »
In the greenhouse at home

Sowed alderman peas and clarke's beltony blue in modules as so many of the peas were eaten by mice last year.

Also sowed tomato seeds, golden blanching celery and celeriac, and planted four seed potatoes in bags to try to get an early crop
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mattwragg94

« Reply #449 on: March 03, 2012, 17:39 »
just built a 7 by 4 raised bed, then a planter and then i tidied up the shed.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 32 queries.