Disappointing potato crop.....

• 5 Replies

pfitz13

Disappointing potato crop.....
« on: July 26, 2009, 16:03 »
After having my first batch of potatoes fail as I planted them in manure infected with a persistant herbicide, I planted a few more in potato sacks.  They grew strong and healthy and were earthed up twice.  All flowered, but on splitting the bags I only had a couple of potatoes per bag!!  What did I do wrong??

Trillium

Re: Disappointing potato crop.....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 16:19 »
How long did you wait after flowering before splitting open the bags?
We wait until the plants are pretty much dead before we open them up, that way we know the tubers grew to their max. Also, being heavy feeders, did you give the growing spuds a liquid feed of manure or comfrey during their growing time?

SG6

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 18:21 »
I grow mine in large pots and when I earthed up, 2 or 3 times, I added a small pot of chicken poo each time.

Crop was better then when in the ground, which was close to nothing. But I wonder if we have expectations that are unrealistic. I get the idea that we expect to open the sack and see nothing but spuds spilling forth. Reality seems to be 4 to 6 per plant. :ohmy: :ohmy: :D

jjbull

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 23:37 »
not meaning to rub peoples noses in it but my crops have been great apart from my earlies (swift,vales emerald)which arent ready yet where as my seconds(vivaldi)have died back and ive just got over 5lbs of spuds from 1 bag that had 2 seed pots in it

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:31 »
well this is my 1st good year for spuds and harvested the lot yesterday.. got about 75KG for them and very little slug damage.. woo hoo.. Anyone for mash?

I have had bad bad years before so feel your pain.

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06 »
I dug up 2 of my spud plants yesterday as the foliage is just starting to wither, and as it had fallen all over my path I thought it justfied it, not that I'm too impatient to taste them honest  ::)

They are Kestrel 2nd earlies and have been in the ground 15 weeks, and from the 2 I dug up I got 6 1/2 lbs of good sized spuds, and only 1 with any slug damage, and 1 with fork damage.

I'm thinking you harvested too early, but that would depend on the variety you planted.

xx
Disappointing potato yield

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 17:35
by hushda24
xx
First ever potato crop

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 22:50
by Howard
xx
Bad potato crop

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2021, 21:59
by muckyboots
xx
potato crop

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2022, 22:17
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 35 queries.