Strawberry planters.

• 12 Replies

Clampit

Strawberry planters.
« on: April 19, 2008, 21:11 »
I have planted two strawberry planters with strawberrys (what a shock!)
I filled them with John Innes number 2. When i water them a lot of the compost is washed out of the holes, does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from happening please?

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Strawberry planters.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 21:16 »
Fill the holes with stones!!!!!
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

gobs

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 22:05 »
Or don't use strawberry planters unless you have a gardener, them a pain to look after.
All your plants are likely to die, more so if it's terracotta,  I should risk saying, unless you have plenty of time to devote to looking after them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Strawberry planters.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 22:50 »
I agree with gobs !!~ and I had a plastic one. Watering is a pain in the A too when its hot. I am not sure what to do with my old one. Any ideas ?

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

vegmandan

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 22:55 »
I just grow Strawbs in a 12" normal pot,2-3 plants to a pot.

I get great results as alot of them still hang over the edge and you just water normally without the washing soil out probs. :D

mashauk

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 23:13 »
Quote from: "jazzbyrd"
I agree with gobs !!~ and I had a plastic one. Watering is a pain in the A too when its hot. I am not sure what to do with my old one. Any ideas ?

Jazzbyrd

I've got mint in mine, keeps it from spreading, and as it's virtually indestructible (along with my lemon balm) I've always got some.

Elaine G

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 23:45 »
Another downside - I lost all my plants to vine weevil last year.
This year the plants seem to have survived but it is a risk.
Fortunately once you have strawberries there are always spare plants from runners, its just the expense of new compost.
I covered the top and all the holes with gravel in the hope that this would deter the bugs.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Strawberry planters.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 11:06 »
When the soil has settled it wont wash out so easily, I have six planters ,a piece of plastic tube which has holes in it is placed in the middle from the top surface to the bottom of the pot,when filling with compost.I put the hose in this and turn the water on and leave for 15 mins or so ,it ensures the soil is well soaked .I do not water the outside because it dislodges the soil.
I agree though in the hot weather this needs to be done daily and is a nuisance.I am thinking of change of use for the pots.

Mint is a good idea,I suppose other herbs such as creeping Thyme etc but dont mix mint with other herbs, as the mint is so strong it will take over the pot.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Clampit

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 15:17 »
Thanks for your replies, i feel a bit silly now, my good lady was going to plant the strawberries in pots, but me, being the expert :roll:  said ' Why don't I get some proper planters, they'll look a lot nicer and the plants will be able to dangle to their hearts content keeping the fruit off the soil.' :oops:
Please don't tell her that her idea was better, i'll never hear the end of it. :oops:
I shall certainly try some gravel, i'm off to sweep the drive once again.

Bombers

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42 »
I just threw some various herbs in it last year and most seem quite happy. :D  Sage/Tyme/Parsley/Chives. ( No mint though!) LOL
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Strawberry planters.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:46 »
I also got fed up with the plants at the bottom not getting watered properly, so I've got alpines in mine.  You could put a pipe or something down through the middle and water into that?  Not tried it yet, but keep thinking about it!   :thumright:

chrissie B

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:42 »
i also got alpines but i converted an old linen basket , its a plastic one with a diamond pattern , got 6 in there at the mo with room for another 4 regular strawberries and flowers on the top if i invert the lid .
Chrissie b
PS  i bet the wicker linen would look good with plants hanging from it.
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

sclarke624

Strawberry planters.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 13:36 »
I put mine in troughs (think thats how you spell troff), that way should be easier to plant the babies/runners into a free trough alongside.  Had a lot of trouble last year, my first, as I had strwb in pots.  Right puzzle trying to find pot same size, or balance pot on bricks, to reach runner to plant before severing.  Also difficult with round pot to put lots of pots around mother plant for rotting runners.  If you see what I mean.

So as said have 6 troughs all same size, troughs about 3 foot long 1 foot high.  Got them cheapish from Ford Market £2.99 each.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Planters

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 14:48
by mrsbean
xx
Tomatoes in planters

Started by PhilConnors on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2022, 09:02
by New shoot
xx
Patio Planters

Started by Aston on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 16:45
by BenefitofHindsight
xx
Garlic planters

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 13:02
by Potiron

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 28 queries.