Sweetcorn consigned to the compost heap.

• 8 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Sweetcorn consigned to the compost heap.
« on: September 20, 2021, 17:10 »
The subject title says it all... Chopped up and into the heap  :mad: along with a load of grass cuttings from next door.  Try again next year!

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

al78

Re: Sweetcorn consigned to the compost heap.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 17:42 »
Is that because (like me) you live in the small part of the UK which had a very poor summer?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 21:30 »
I think you have hit the nail on the head there, but looking back, I don't think it was too bad a summer (but then I was raised in the very North West)!.  Also, I don't think I watered the plants as often as I should have.  Cheers,  Tony.

Debz

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:13 »
We were third time lucky this year and are actually getting cobs.  They're not perfect but tasty.

cc

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 08:16 »
Excellent for me considering the weather. They are going in compost bin today as they are all finished. My new location on the side of a hill probably helped. The spot was used for comfrey in the past. Dug up but refusing to die off. So shared with comfrey plants didn't appear to have a negative effect.

al78

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 15:28 »
I think you have hit the nail on the head there, but looking back, I don't think it was too bad a summer (but then I was raised in the very North West)!.  Also, I don't think I watered the plants as often as I should have.  Cheers,  Tony.

It wasn't just the summer. From April to August here in W Sussex we've had locked in weather patterns that have been detrimental to gardening. April was the frostiest for nearly 100 years. May was cool and wet, June was reasonable first half, appalling second half in the SE (four times the average rainfall in some places for that period), July was wet in the SE, August was the third dullest on record at Heathrow. Thankfully September has been dry and mild, a good respite.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/10895-may-2021---cold-and-wet---saved-only-by-the-bank-holiday-weekend

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2021/08/26/notably-warm-summer-so-far-for-uk-but-not-for-everyone/

https://inews.co.uk/news/weather-uk-why-so-bad-august-2021-summer-temperatures-rain-met-office-explained-1174524

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 14:34 »
We've had two cobs grown outside which were a bit tough.  :( OH picked two from the g'house which were given plenty of water, had brown silks and were just getting a more rounded end. Most of the kernels looked dried out so I'm not a happy bunny either.  >:(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 14:47 »
We've had two cobs grown outside which were a bit tough.  :( OH picked two from the g'house which were given plenty of water, had brown silks and were just getting a more rounded end. Most of the kernels looked dried out so I'm not a happy bunny either.  >:(

Bad luck GG.  What a disappointment  :(

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 20:55 »
we never had the sweetcorn crop we usually have this year either although most of the cobs where a good size some cobs where not fully formed not like  last years crop we had  good well filled cobs with a very sweet flavour
we grew golden hind last year but i switched to goldcrest this year maybe it was the inclement weather this year but  I've decided to go back to golden hind next season

xx
compost heap

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 12:35
by harry
xx
Which veg' for the compost heap?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 14:35
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Compost Heap

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 21:53
by compostqueen
xx
can this go on compost heap?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 20:34
by SPOTTIES

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.