• 12 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Newby to growing Leeks
« on: September 17, 2021, 10:14 »
Hi all  ;) Never grown leeks before as wife not to keen on them but this year
I thought I would try so I set about 15 in a big trug & about 12 are have been
doing well but I noticed yesterday 1 of them has grown a bulb on the top as if
it's going to seed or is it telling me it's ready to lift but I didn't think it was time
to lift them yet. Any thoughts.
As usual I look forward to your replies. 
Keith.

Growster...

Re: Newby to growing Leeks
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 11:44 »
It's probably going to seed SPPman!

You can use it, but when it's cut though, you'll notice the flower stem in the middle, which isn't fantastic to eat, so hoik that out, and treat the rest of the leaves as normal.

Incidentally, what variety is it, as there are three seasons in general terms - early, middle and late (which you can use over winter up to March sometimes, and if it's one of those, it's got a long way to go yet:0~!

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 12:56 »
I grew Musselburgh this year. They are usually good until early winter, but a good proportion of them have gone to seed. I put it down to the odd weather earlier in the year - warm then cold etc.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 14:37 »
Always grown Musselburgh leeks

Normally start picking from November and December, until early April.
Do often get some that fatten up quicker and will start picking a few of those each month in September and October, so probably taht stops them going to seed.
I planted mine out in the second week of June this year and normally do around mid May to early June.

Have noticed as I said above some have really grown large and fattened up nicely already and have had a few weekend pickings so far.
I do cover my leeks once first planted for a month and a half to get them settled and undisturbed in their dib holes, mainly to stop the cats and foxes trampling over them.
I then remove the cover.
Have seen some growers keep covers over the leeks for the season and notice theirs go to seed, think maybe they are shooting up to find the light.

Do the same with other crops with early use of covers like Turnips and have left a cover on a little too long and they shoot up and start seeding. Lesson learnt.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 23:05 »
Always grown Musselburgh leeks

Normally start picking from November and December, until early April.
Do often get some that fatten up quicker and will start picking a few of those each month in September and October, so probably taht stops them going to seed.
I planted mine out in the second week of June this year and normally do around mid May to early June.

Have noticed as I said above some have really grown large and fattened up nicely already and have had a few weekend pickings so far.
I do cover my leeks once first planted for a month and a half to get them settled and undisturbed in their dib holes, mainly to stop the cats and foxes trampling over them.
I then remove the cover.
Have seen some growers keep covers over the leeks for the season and notice theirs go to seed, think maybe they are shooting up to find the light.

Do the same with other crops with early use of covers like Turnips and have left a cover on a little too long and they shoot up and start seeding. Lesson learnt.

Mine aren't covered.  Must be the weather.  I normally grow Bleu de Solaise that are extremely hardy and stand very well into winter.

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 21:22 »
Hi. Many thanks for all your comments. I have removed the leek & checked the others
& they seem to be ok. In answer to the 1st reply they are called Lyon, I picked this type
because they are an early crop.
Keith.  :)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 07:36 »
That's good, SP!

We've got a new variety this year, 'Krypton', and they're around four ft tall now...

al78

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 17:46 »
Some of my leeks have thrown up flower heads as well. I suspect it is as a result of the dull wet summer immediately followed by a bone dry September.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 09:15 »
I am also new to growing leeks - can I ask - how do you know hen they are ready for harvest?  I do have some that are bigger than the others - they are a Autumn variety. 
Thanks
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 09:36 »
I'd say if they're Autumn leeks, you can use them now, unlike onions they don't need to go brown, so away you go - and use some of the green bits at the top after just a couple of outer layers have been stripped off - the colour is fabulous in soups etc!

The 'Krypton' I mentioned above was about 18" long after trimming the big leaves - a record for me, and just one with a modest 1.25" diameter was easily enough for a big soup!

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 20:23 »
 I think we planted our leeks a tad late and there no where near the size of your leeks growster we went for 2 varieties this year porbella and winter giant but the variety  you mention Krypton seems really worth growing if you don't mind me asking where the best place to buy that variety from also we usually sow our leek seed around late March in modules then in pots using MP compost at pencil size before finally planting out but I've been advised to sow the seed thinly in a deep trays  then when they get to a pencil size plant out ? and not in modules  or pots :unsure:

so growster if we want early leeks when's the best time to sow I know my late father in law always grew musselburgh and had really large leeks I noticed he used to ridge the soil up to the leeks like a potato ridge
and although we do get tasty leeks further on in the season there never as big as his or as you mention your leeks I must be doing something wrong?

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 06:32 »
Hope I can help, Rowland!

'Krypton' leeks (Unwins/Marshalls seeds) sown in a half-tray during last week in January, potted on around 30+ (that's most of the few seeds in the packet which germinated properly), into two deep 6" pots during the first week in April, then, at 'thin pencil' size, dibbled into their final bed during the last week in May.

I guess there's a need to start them off much earlier than March. I grew Musselburgh last year, on roughly the same timing, but they didn't get to pencil size - never have done with me, but they went in as usual, and were fine!

I like the idea of earthing up leeks, especially if they extend the blanched section, that's a sound method, so your FIL knew his stuff! I dibble holes to around 8" and about 8" each way for the thirty plants in a block, and it seems to work! Some are still much smaller at the moment, and probably won't get much bigger now.

When we had 'The Patch', I used to grow around 200 plus, but finished up giving loads away at Easter...

Frankly, I just love growing the blighters, they're so forgiving and down here at least - don't seem to be worried by the nasties!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 06:34 by Growster... »

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 08:51 »
Hi growster yes that's  very helpful looks like I need to sow earlier to get leeks sooner rather than later and that idea of ridging leeks was a good idea pity I've never done this way before probably because i plant in a raised bed rather than the open ground but together with getting some Krypton seed and planting and ridging the leeks on open ground and not raised  beds I mite even get some bigger leeks  :D :D

i did notice in one of my catalogues a variety called Warwick said to produce high quality leeks but the price put me of at £7.30 for 250 seeds could they be the Rolls Rice of leeks I ask myself  :lol:

anyway many thanks for that info Growster RW

xx
Growing Leeks

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2024, 07:51
by Snow
xx
growing leeks

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 21:27
by WG.
xx
Will leeks keep growing?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 14:12
by Aidy
xx
Growing Leeks

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 20:44
by janette

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 48 queries.