cape gooseberry

• 5 Replies

m1ckz

cape gooseberry
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:50 »
i was given some seeds  but know nothing about them   any ideas please when to sow an how to grow

Audy70

Re: cape gooseberry
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:18 »
I planted these down the allotment last year. I sowed seeds indoor this time last year and planted out in May. They are very sprawling plants and the fruit are lovely. It was great to snack on them as I worked on the plot, my biggest harvest was at the end of the season. It is a perennial if grown in a greenhouse and you have the space. I didn't give them much attention apart from watering during dry periods.

They keep well once in their husks, the taste is unique, a bit acidic at first and getting sweeter the longer they are stored. I'm going to sow more this year, it was a great addition to the plot.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:43 »
Do you have the latin names on the packet? If you have physalis peruviana, they are the ones that you buy in supermarkets, with orange fruit in the papery husks, The plants grow tall (5ft) if in the ground and fruit fairly late in the season outside, even if you sow now. If you have physalis pruinosa, this is a dwarf variety (2-3ft tall). It fruits earlier, and fruits are a little smaller, a lot sweeter and yellowish.

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:21 »
I grew them once in an old toilet pan, just to prove that you could get Physalis from a toilet. I was going to enter it in the 'Plant in a container' category in the village show but thought the village elders might disapprove.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:16 »
I grow them most years (my grandson likes them to snack on). There are two varieties (that I know of) dwarf and "full sized". I grow them in large pots so that I can overwinter them in the unheated greenhouse, that way they crop earlier than if you sow them fresh each year but they only last one overwintering so I sow fresh seed each year. A couple of plants gives lots of fruit.

Sow them when you sow your tomatoes.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:12 »
I grew them once in an old toilet pan, just to prove that you could get Physalis from a toilet. I was going to enter it in the 'Plant in a container' category in the village show but thought the village elders might disapprove.

Like ! :) :) :)

xx
Cape gooseberry - HELP PLEASE!!

Started by Topsie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 20:30
by peapod
clip
cape gooseberry

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2013, 15:21
by surbie100
xx
Cape Gooseberry

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2016, 15:56
by Headgardener22
xx
cape gooseberry

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 21:12
by deedee71

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 39 queries.