When a squash isn't a squash

• 2 Replies

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
When a squash isn't a squash
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:59 »
I built myself a 'squashouse' - basically a big coldframe lined with clear floppy plastic within which to grow my squash, and planted a couple of (different types of) squash seedlings in it.

All well and good, and they seem to be growing far faster this year than when they were outside last year, but there's a problem. One of my squash plants has started growing what is pretty unmistakably a courgette on it. It's possible that I mistook which seeds I was planting, but having reconsulted my squash packets I think it's more likely that I was sent a packet of incorrect seeds.

Anyway. Is it too late to plant some more seeds with a view to replacing the courgette plant with a real squash? As described, it would be growing in a semi-greenhouse location.

Casey76

Re: When a squash isn't a squash
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:22 »
Courgettes are squash... they are summer squash opposed to winter squash which have thick rinds (pumpkin, butternut etc)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: When a squash isn't a squash
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 15:18 »
Anyway. Is it too late to plant some more seeds with a view to replacing the courgette plant with a real squash? As described, it would be growing in a semi-greenhouse location.

sow the seed direct asap, you're a couple of weeks late but you should still be ok, assuming we get some sort of summer this year :)

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
What to do with squash?

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 15:27
by mumofstig
xx
Squash

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 21:22
by mumofstig
xx
squash

Started by hoporus on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 20:22
by hoporus

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.