This will make you forget about the courgettes...

• 3 Replies

DanielCoffey

This will make you forget about the courgettes...
« on: July 02, 2020, 15:09 »
... for a moment at least!

It is jam season and today I got my big delivery from my local independent fruiterer. The only catch is that the box of raspberries is THREE layers deep! And the cherries arrived. And the 5 litre tub of cream for butter and ice cream came from the farm too. It is only a small mercy I delayed the gooseberries and jam strawberries till Monday!

The haul so far today... 22 jars of Raspberry jam, 4 jars of Cherry jam, a pound of glace cherries on the way as well as a pound of dried cherries in the Excalibur.

This afternoon it will be working through 20 egg yolks for all the ice cream with the rest of the cream reserved for butter or possibly Ghee.

Next week it will be Gooseberry pectin for the Strawberry jam!
P1001017.jpg
P1001015.jpg

snowdrops

Re: This will make you forget about the courgettes...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 16:18 »
Know the feeling well. I seem to have been in the kitchen all week. How do you do the glacé cherries please & are they dessert or cooking cherries?
I’ve made strawberry jam, gooseberry & mint jelly (6lbs)
Gooseberry vinegar
Redcurrant jelly
Gooseberry chutney
Mine was all home grown & I'm beginning to dread going to the allotment & seeing what needs picking lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 20:22 »
The cherries are whatever are in the shops at the moment. I would say they are the sweet cherries as you can eat them raw without wincing.

I bought a cherry stoner to help and it certainly makes getting the stones out very quick.

I will do a proper writeup for the recipe with pictures but since it takes 14 days and cherries are short season, here is the quick and dirty version...

Cherries (any type) - 450g
Water - 570ml
Sugar - 750g

Wash and pit 450g of cherries. Place in a medium saucepan with 570ml water. Heat to just before simmering for one minute. All you want to do is warm the water to soften the skins but not cook the fruit. Drain the cherries and reserve the liquid. Return 425ml of the liquid to the pan and dissolve 250g of sugar. Bring to a simmer to fully dissolve the sugar then pour the hot syrup  over the cherries and leave 24h.

Day 2 - drain the cherries into a bowl and return the syrup to the pan. Add 60g sugar and simmer to dissolve. Pour hot syrup over cherries and leave 24h.

Day 3 - repeat Day 2.
Day 4 - repeat Day 2.
Day 5 - repeat Day 2.
Day 6 - repeat Day 2.
Day 7 - repeat Day 2.

Day 8 - Add 85g sugar to the syrup without draining the cherries. Bring the cherries and syrup to a low simmer to dissolve sugar, Simmer for 3 minutes then set aside for two days.

Day 10 - Add remaining 55g sugar, simmer cherries and syrup for 3 minutes then set aside for 4 days.

Day 14 - Drain the heavy syrup from the cherries and keep it to put over ice cream and cakes. Spread the cherries out on a tray in a warm, dry place for 48h or put in your dehydrator on 115F / 45C for 12h till slightly dried.

They will not be bright red and they will not be in the sticky syrup that the supermarkets have got us used to.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 20:25 »
Lovely thank you.

xx
peanut butter make or buy?

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 20:16
by Growster...
xx
Meatballs .. is there a gadget to make them?

Started by madcat on Kitchen Natter

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 13:31
by madcat
xx
Think my courgettes were too big

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

17 Replies
Last post August 19, 2014, 19:21
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 41 queries.