wired glass for a greenhouse?

• 6 Replies

bonnydoon

wired glass for a greenhouse?
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:35 »
hello

i've got a plan to build a lean-to greenhouse against a brick wall of about 2metres high(ish) (free bricks :D) but don't know where to get cheap glass.

it's going to be a fairly substantial structure - about 6metres long and 4 metres wide - so that's a lot of horticultural glass and money.

anybody know if wired glass would work as well as horticultural glass for letting in enough light?

cheers

Gwiz

Re: wired glass for a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:36 »
Do you mean the glass with the wire mesh in it?
If it's the clear glass, I can't see why not. It'd be a lot more expensive than horticultural glass though, I would have thought....

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:50 »
Clear wired glass is ok for letting the light in but very heavy and expensive.

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 23:16 »
hello

i've got a plan to build a lean-to greenhouse against a brick wall of about 2metres high(ish) (free bricks :D) but don't know where to get cheap glass.

it's going to be a fairly substantial structure - about 6metres long and 4 metres wide - so that's a lot of horticultural glass and money.

anybody know if wired glass would work as well as horticultural glass for letting in enough light?

cheers

When I was an apprentice decorator and glazier, horticultural glass was the cheapest glass. It had a dimpled surface which you could not see through properly. I wonder why it is now more expensive than plain window glass (comparing 32oz with 32oz), now doubt we're being ripped off again.

There are two types of wired glass, one is obscured with wire netting in it and the other is clear with crossed wires, both are very heavy (about 64oz per square foot and 6.5mm thick)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 21:35 by Larkshall »

bonnydoon

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 12:59 »
Cheers for your responses

I originally thought of wired glass as i thought it would be cheaper and stronger/safer than horticultural glass. Since i posted we've had a tree surgeon round here who just so happens to be taking a greenhouse down (with a jcb!!) so i'm going in to salvage the glass and anything else too.

He assures me that the glass is more or less all there and not too broken.

I'm assuming (very dangerous) that it's horti glass and therefore ok to use in my new greenhouse? I'm assuming that as long as the panes are standard size (600mm ish) then they have been cut by a glass merchant or supplied with the greenhouse when it was put up and therefore should be ok to be reused - as long as they show no obvious signs of damage etc.

What d'ya think? safe assumption or not

cheers

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 19:31 »
Sounds pretty safe to me.
Having said that, it'll now turn out to be a home made greenhouse, with no two panels of glass the same size..... ;)

bonnydoon

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:22 »
some may say home made but i prefer to call it bespoke ;)

cheers

xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:04
by si-mate
xx
New Greenhouse No glass!

Started by carlrmj on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 19:02
by carlrmj
xx
Greenhouse needs glass

Started by Njal on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 20:30
by beansticks
xx
Greenhouse glass?

Started by neil1967 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 23:36
by neil1967

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.