Watering pots

• 3 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Watering pots
« on: June 14, 2018, 15:23 »
I have lots of pots in the garden and I don't mind watering them all.  However I am going to be away for 3 weeks in the summer and am worried my parents will.
Has anyone ever used any system to connect all the pots up to the tap to make it easier to water?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Watering pots
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 17:01 »
Yes, mine's been running for a few weeks now, simultaneously watering 10 plants in the GH and 3 outside.

2nd pic is of the timer, which I can't absolutely recommend because it has a habit of resetting the clock and timer whenever it's used in over-ride mode, which is extremely annoying but doesn't stop it doing the job of delivering 2 X 2 minute watering sessions per day (variable number and duration available.)

The irrigation kit seems to work well - 1st pic shows the 'business end'. i.e. one of the drippers, which is adjustable for flow rate, although of course if you adjust one it will affect the flow through the others - in practice it wasn't as tricky to get it right as I thought it might be. I think there were about 20 drippers in the kit, so you could water 20 pots if necessary (subject to them being reasonably close together so you didn't have to buy more tubing.)

Irrigation kit is:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DW6WZMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Of course, if you have someone on hand to turn the tap on and off you don't need a timer!  ;))

(Edited due to making pigs ear of uploading pics!)
IMG_20180614_163825660.jpg
IMG_20180614_163928517.jpg
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 17:07 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:11 »
Yes, mine's been running for a few weeks now, simultaneously watering 10 plants in the GH and 3 outside.

That looks like a great bit of kit.
Some good pointers form a few on Amazon for careful installation.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 15:41 »
Yes, some reviewers have gone to a lot of trouble to compensate for the lack of instructions, which basically consist of a few diagrams and a few paragraphs of text, although better than the product description on the website:

Tips:
Tube Assembly When Used Under Hot Water, Soft Spots And Then Picked Up On The Tees Will Be Fine.
:lol:

My tips:
1) You will need to soften the end of the tubing in hot water for every joint you make, otherwise you probably won't be able to force it on far enough for it to stay on under pressure.

2) Good idea to flush out your completed system before attaching the drippers, because any dirt in it would probably block one or more of them. For the same reason a simple filter in the supply is a good idea - if you have a timer it probably has one built in.

3  Reading between the lines, it seems to me that most of the negative reviews were from those who either wanted to complain about the lack of instructions (it ain't rocket science!), who expected a spectacular fountain to be produced from each of upwards of 20 drippers (it ain't gonna happen and ain't necessary), or hadn't pushed the connectors far enough into the tubes.

xx
Self watering Balcony troughs/pots

Started by simbamara on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 00:41
by simbamara
xx
Needing a good watering can or watering can rose. Any recommendations?

Started by timdunn on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 10:37
by Yorkie
xx
Watering can ll

Started by Jd1980 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 23:15
by johnjsdb
xx
Self watering devices

Started by snow white on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2019, 08:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 41 queries.