has anyone / is anyone owned by a cat with an overactive Thyroid?

• 5 Replies

madcat

It never rains but it pours!  I took our lady of 15 along to the vets this morning with a very nasty abscess on her bum.  That has been lanced and cleaned and she has a week of antibiotics twice a day.   

But while she was there the vet checked temp (sky high but could be the abscess infection which was very nasty), heart (racing), weight - (which was down because she hasnt been eating), thyroid and oops, very enlarged, and did a blood test.  results are back and has just been diagnosed with an overactive Thyroid.  She now has to take a pill a day for the next 3 weeks and then ....

Anybody got any experience of the problem with elderly lady cats?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

spottymint

My sisters cat had an overactive thyroid, I'm sure she was on tablets for the rest of her life (daily).

Can't add anymore than that. Sorry.

Oliveview

Friends cat has thyroidproblems, he is on tablets- keeps in good health for an elderly cat too.

Pamela

mobilekat

Our elderly cat was on Thyroid tablets for a while, but his levels were not settling so we had to have his thyroid removed. He did very well after his surgery, and was soon back to normal.  :)
And his appetite settled and he gained weight

Sadly he then developed unrelated bowel issues  :(
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

grendel

we had a cat that had diabeties plus all of his organs were enlarged (cant remember what they called it now, and though the enlarged organs affected the diabetes such that we never really got the latter under control, despite daily insulin injections. these he had for over a year and a half (with many vets visits) before he finally secumbed to his illnesses. not had any experience with thyroid problems, but will say if your cat is on repeat medication, you can ask the vet to give you a prescription for the medication, (they may well charge you for this, but you can then use an online pet medicine site (eg petmeds.co.uk) where you will find that the cost of the meds may be up to 50% less.
in the end we were getting the syringes from petmeds (no prescription needed) at half the cost. and the insulin through the vets (we worked out we werent saving a lot buying the insulin straight from petmeds after paying for a consultation and prescription every 6 months (our vet wasnt marking up the meds too much for the insulin- they got their money from all the visits we were making with him).
so its worth checking out, it might even be that you dont need a prescription for the meds, but it could save you a penny or two.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

madcat

Thank you all!  I think we are going to end up going the surgery route ...  I cant imagine a pill every morning for the next (hopefully) many years!  It has been wearing for the last six days with the antibiotics and the thyroid pill  ....

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.